5 reasons health nuts should be geeked for fall
By Brittany Anas
Some of you kissed summer goodbye over Labor Day. But, technically the autumn equinox isn’t until Sept. 22. At 4:44 p.m. Eastern time to be exact. For health and fitness enthusiasts, summer probably meant grilling healthy veggie kabobs outdoors, keeping fit so you could look good in your swimsuit and enough outdoor activities it felt like you were at summer camp.
Carry that sunshine-fueled energy into the fall, because we’ve got five reasons you and your healthy habits should be excited to embrace the new season.
- The Great Pumpkins! Decorate your front entryway with them and carve them up for Halloween, of course. But you should also know that your fall decorations pack a lot of nutritional value, too. The vitamin A in the beloved squash can improve eyesight and pumpkin also packs a lot of fiber, which helps you feel full. It’s got 3 grams of fiber in a one-cup serving — and less than 50 calories. And don’t forget to toast those pumpkin seeds. They help reduce your cholesterol levels. (Get a glow-in-the-dark pumpkin carving kit at Spirit Halloween, where you can get 6.5 percent Cash Back from ShopAtHome.com)
- Are you ready for some football? Fall brings back some of our favorite television shows and lures us to the couch on the weekends to watch college and NFL games. Don’t become a complete couch potato! Get out and play a neighborhood game of flag football. We guarantee the neighbor kids will be game and we’re sure your next-door neighbor is ready to relive his glory days as high school quarterback.
- Return of a regular sleep schedule. We’ll officially “fall forward” at 2 a.m. Nov. 3. But the days are already getting shorter and it’s getting darker out earlier. The kids have returned to their bedtimes and summer outdoor concerts aren’t keeping us up past our bedtimes. A good sleep schedules makes our metabolism happy and scientific studies show that when you get a good night’s sleep, you’re less likely to snack during the day.
- Perfect running weather. As much as we love a hot summer day to spend at the pool, the cooler temperatures of fall make for perfect workout weather. It’s not too hot. It’s not too cold. The temperatures are just right for an afternoon jog that won’t drench you in sweat. Before it snows or gets too cold, get a good outdoor workout by going for a bike ride or a hike on your favorite trail.
- Spice is nice. Time to pull the nutmeg from your spice rack. The quintessential fall spice has several surprising health benefits. Sprinkle some on your oatmeal in the morning to help your digestive system. A dash of the spice in your milk before bed could help the Sandman arrive more quickly.
Read more articles about Spirit Halloween here.
Other articles you might also like: