Need more coffee? Here are some creative ways to consume more of it
By Aimee Heckel
Whoever created Daylight Savings Time did not have children. Or pets.
If your little ones aren’t reading the clock and are forcing you to get up at 4:30 a.m. this week, one morning cup of coffee isn’t going to cut it.
It’s OK; we’ve got your back. Here are some other creative ways you can consume coffee throughout the day to keep energized — at least until you or your kids can adjust to the new schedule. And we all know who typically wins these kinds of battles. Drink up, mama.
1. Chocolate coffee cupcakes with coffee frosting. This recipe, posted on Bakeaholic Mama, uses dark chocolate and instant coffee. It’s simple, your kids can help you make it and it’s a great way to get a sweet burst of the caffeine after lunch (isn’t there some unspoken rule that you can’t eat cupcakes before noon? No? OK, then breakfast it is!).
2. Frozen coffee cubes to put in your iced latte. It’s a great way to use up that leftover coffee in the pot — wait, who are we kidding? Leftover. Silly, silly.
3. Hot chocolate alternative — with a kick. This pinner suggests adding a bit of marshmallow vodka to a recipe for peppermint chocolate coffee.
4. Coffee in the crock pot. This recipe for pumpkin spice coffee is made in the crock pot. Whip some up for your next holiday party or potluck.
5. Make some coffee crafts. Sometimes just the scent of coffee can jolt you awake. Make your own homemade chocolate-covered coffee beans (much cheaper than buying them at Starbucks). Decorate with coffee beans.
While you’re at it, check out this entire pin board of crafts using coffee filters. Our favorite: coffee filter flowers, colored with food coloring. Pick up a mountain of filters at Walmart — 60 for less than $3. Of course, find coffee beans there, too. Save money with Walmart coupons paired with Cash Back from ShopAtHome.com. Read more articles about saving money at Walmart here.
Teach your kids how to make coffee filter flowers and the next time your kiddos make you get up before the sun, tell them to go make flowers until it’s a reasonable time to wake up.
Save money other babies and kids products with these coupons.
Other articles you might also enjoy: