Say cheese: 5 must-haves in your next point and shoot camera
Sometimes your cell phone camera isn’t enough. It’s useful to have a higher quality digital camera on hand, to capture special occasions, vacations and other scenes that a built-in camera just can’t capture right.
You don’t need to commit to a professional camera, though. A point-and-shoot digital camera will cover most people’s photographic needs.
But with such a wide selection out there, it can be hard to select just the right one.
Here are five things to take into consideration when choosing a point and shoot camera:
1. Simplicity: If easy is what you want, opt for a basic point-and-shoot with automatic settings. This is a good place to start if you’re new to photography, on a budget and just looking for a compact camera that’s one step up.
2. Manual controls: If you want more control over your shutter, aperture and other details, select a camera with manual controls. You can often find great, free tips on using manual cameras online.
3. Megapixels: A high megapixel count does not necessarily mean better pictures. If you get a camera with high megapixels but a small sensor, your pictures may look noisy.
4. Durability: If you plan to bring your camera out into nature (hiking, camping) or on athletic adventures (skiing, surfing), look for a durable camera specially designed for active photographers. You can find waterproof and even freezeproof digital cameras.
The Nikon Coolpix is consistently rated a favorite all-weather camera. Its water-, freeze- and shock-proof and can handle temps as low as 14 and drops from up to seven feet up. Nikon Coolpix AW130 16.0-Megapixel Waterproof Digital Camera, on sale $319.99 (plus Cash Back), Bestbuy.com
5. Size: A smaller camera does not mean it’s better. Although it may be lighter weight and easier to store in your pocket or backpack, smaller point-and-shoots may lack a sufficient zoom and also be hard to use.
Compact cameras that also take quality photos are the 8x Canon PowerShot Elph 210 HS, or the Canon PowerShot Slph 135, both with an 8x zoom. Canon PowerShot Elph 135 Digital Camera, on sale $89.99 (plus Cash Back), Bestbuy.com