The survival guide for the coexistence of pets and kids
The two cutest things on the cover of a newspaper: babies and puppies. But, if not combined properly, these two adorable balls of love can come together to create a dangerous explosion.
You don’t want your pup to nip at your child, and you don’t want your child to harass your fluffy friend.
Here are five tips to help man’s best friend live peacefully with your little tots — the survival guide for the coexistence of pets and kids.
1. If you are thinking about getting a new pet, make sure it is the right breed and kind of animal for your kid’s age, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
2. Make sure you teach your child how to act around and treat a pet. Don’t let your child chase a pet that is running away (and not playing), lock a pet in a closet, leave it outdoors or hurt it in any way.
3. Train your dog properly. And most importantly, train yourself. Part of this education is knowing why dogs bite, so you can prevent it. Another helpful way to better understand your little critter may be to sign yourself and your dog up for an obedience course.
Petco has a variety of great dog training products, too. Look into different training techniques and find one that works for you and your dog. For instance, “clicker training”. Try this inexpensive StarMark clicker from Petco.
4. Make sure your kids and pets have healthy playtime together. Both kids and dogs love bubbles, so pick up a Bubbletastic Dog Bubble Machine, with bacon-scented bubbles. We think this bubble toy is the perfect way for you two little ones to enjoy time together, it costs $19.95 at activedogtoys.com.
5. For cats, introduce youngsters the same way you might introduce your cat to another cat. Cats are not big fans of being chased, so teaching your kid how to play with a cat using a feather toy can be a good way to avoid conflict. Find a feather cat toy at Drugstore.com for $5.99. Use ShopAtHome.com coupons to save money on Drugstore.com purchases, plus get up to 5 percent Cash Back.
Other articles you might also enjoy:
- Listen up, parents: Amazon beefs up kids-only entertainment
- Unique pet travel gear, from doggie life vests to the ‘Puppoose’
- Just say om: Calm your kids down by teaching them meditation