5 universal ways to instantly look skinnier in your jeans
Here’s the skinny: By picking out the right pair and fit of jeans and trying out a few of our trusty tricks you can instantly look slimmer in your denim. Nope, this isn’t one of those late-night pajama jeans infomercials. (Besides, aren’t those elastic waistband jeans just maternity jeans reincarnated?)
Jeaniology studies tell us that women, on average, own seven pairs of jeans — but they wear just four pairs regularly. So much can go wrong with jeans. Dare we utter the phrase “mom jeans?”
Here are five easy ways to instantly look leaner in your denim:
- Choose dark-wash denim. Patterns and pastels are getting some major playing time this spring. They’re fun, sure. Kind of like that eccentric guy you dated in college. But a good pair of dark-wash denim is the marrying type; the type that will flatter you every day. Our favorite? The Slender Secret Scarlett Barely Bootcut jeans from Lee Jeans.
- Wear heels. They can make you look a size smaller, according to an article in the Daily Mail. And, we’re kinda’ like, d’uh. It’s not like we’ve been marching around in heels for the comfort factor, you know? If you’re wearing low-cut, relaxed boyfriend jeans, juxtapose them with a pair of cutesy pumps. How about these yellow polka dot “Barbie” heels from DSW? Yellow plus denim is always a winning combo.
- Go monochromatic: Fact: wearing all of the same color can make you look leaner. Another fact: That doesn’t have to mean boring. One go-to, sleek way to style yourself is by wearing a pair of black skinny jeans with a looser fitting black blouse. Pop some color in with a statement necklace like this color mixed statement necklace with a jumble of candy and jewel tones. (Psst … everything is 25 percent off at J.Crew + 7.5 percent cash back from ShopAtHome.com). Also, chambray shirts and jeans in slightly contrasting shades is a tomboy-chic trend this spring.
- Find the right fit: We women are like magicians, always looking to hide our trouble spots. There’s so much to consider when we’re picking out jeans — from length, to cut, to — ut-oh — making sure you’re not revealing too much when you bend over. This 10-question quiz is like an online tailor, finding the perfect fit for your body type.
- Avoid detailing on jeans: Whiskers, extensive fraying and back-pocket bling are culprits for making you look wider. Leave them to the demographic that has monthly orthodontic appointments and are still memorizing locker combinations.
Other articles you might also like:
• Gold’s Gym reveals the ‘Ultimate Work-Out Song’ of 2013
• Quit smoking: The health benefits will trump the weight gain
• Healthy choices at the drive-through + fast-food coupons
• Skinny cocktails, backyard games and other healthy ways to celebrate Mother’s Day
• Race organizers increase security following Boston Marathon bombing