2014 Fashion guide: How to rock the ‘menswear’ trend
By Brittany Anas
Let’s hear it for the boys! Menswear-inspired fashion — like immaculately tailored tuxedo jackets, squared off loafers and rich grays — has inspired our wardrobes throughout 2013 and shows no signs of stopping in 2014.
We’re previewing our favorite trends for 2014, starting with the menswear trend that is embodied by longer silhouettes, neutral color palettes and, if you’re up for a dare, pop on a bow tie.
Go ahead, salute your boyfriend jeans, baseball caps and bomber jackets: They are the comfort pieces of your closet that help your re-live those tomboy days (but without the scratched up knees and unfortunate chop job you gave to your bangs with those ‘safety scissors.’)
Here’s five ways to adopt the menswear trend. (And, yes, you can steal from your guy’s side of the closet. But better yet — shop for your own looks at Nordstrom, where you’ll get up 10 percent Cash Back.).
- Flats & loafers. One of the easiest ways to get in on the trend is to have a pair of menswear-inspired shoes in your rotation. You can find smoking slippers, loafers and flats with touches of masculine pieces — and the shoes can strike a balance to an outfit that’s ultra-feminine. A few great shoes: The Sperry Top-Sider boat shoe with purple wool plaid on the sides, the Franco Sarto ‘Andes Flat’ in camel leather or black and the Kate Spade Penny Loafer.
- Blazers. Forget cropped blazers. This season, the longer the better — which is actually tends to be more flattering. We’ve got a style crush on the roomy ‘Downtown Blazer’ that comes in red, maroon, black and blush at Nordstrom. For a feminine juxtaposition, wear a sparkly tank underneath. If you’ve got some money to invest in a classic jacket, we’ll point you over to the Band of Outsiders Shawl Collar Wool Blazer, a posh, double-breasted blazer with a shawl collar.
- Accessorize. Whether it’s a masculine fedora or an oversized watch, draw menswear inspiration in your accessories. The straight lines and architecture of this Coach satchel or this Fossil watch that gets some girly glam with a bright pop of pink.
Read more articles about Nordstrom here.
Other articles you might also like:
- 10 fab stocking stuffers for fashionistas
- Frock n’ roll: These holiday dresses are ready to party hop through the season
- Gorgeous last-minute gifts from Anthropologie under $50