5 free must-have apps that will save you money on travel
By Aimee Heckel
We use our smartphones to save us money in all types of ways. For instance, on groceries — try the app Ibotta. We can even use our phone to give us an incentive to get to the gym while saving us money, try the app GymPact, which pays you to work out. Unbelievable, right? We know.
So why not use our phones to save us money on travel — when the dollar amounts are much higher?
Here are five free apps to help you save money on travel expenses:
1. Hotel Tonight. Download this free app to get last-minute deals on hotels. You can save as much as 70 percent. Find and book the deal easily on your phone. Whereas most of the hotels are currently continental, Hotel Tonight continues to expand overseas, with options in Europe, Mexico, Canada and more.
This app is great for a spur-of-the-minute trip, a stay-cation in your home town or for flexible travelers who don’t need an itinerary set in stone.
2. Gas Buddy. Get gas prices in real time on your phone to find a nearby gas stations with the best prices. Search by zip code or city and even save your favorite stations. This free, five-star-rated app is a must-have for road trips, but you’ll be glad you have it for your daily commute, too.
3. SkySkanner. Trying to find the cheapest airline tickets can be time-consuming — and endless. This free app, used by more than 6 million people, searches flights from more than 1,000 airlines to quickly offer you the cheapest options. You can book right on your phone, too. This app is great for busy people that have to be on-the-go while planning a vacation.
4. Hotels.com. This popular website now has a free app. Search more than 150,000 hotels around the world, make reservations and access them remotely and even track “Welcome Rewards” points. Find a hotel that catches your eye? Save it to view later.
Money saving tip: Save more money on hotels by checking these coupons.
5. Tripadvisor. Your favorite travel website is now available for your smartphone or tablet — for free. Read tons of reviews, so you can make the best choice about where to stay, eat or what to do. We especially love the “use near me now” options, which will provide tips and offerings for things to do near the address of your choice.
Other articles you might also like: