Beyond sunblock and sandals: Summer essentials you need in your beach bag
There are the no d’uh’s that you need to pack in your beach bag: sunblock, a classic summer book, sunglasses, bottle of water and some deodorant. (Trust us on that last one).
Then, there are some items that will take your beach day (or pool day if you’re landlocked) to the next fun-in-the-sun level.
Here’s what you need for an epic summer day spent by the water:
- Cute towel: Don’t even think about bringing your bath towel to the pool or beach. We’ll give you a good towel whipping with it if we catch you. There are so many gorgeous over-sized beach towels in bright, summer prints that deserve to be on display. This $10.99 Suntastic towel from Target is inspired by a summer sunset.
- Waterproof iPhone case: You know, for when the handsome pool boy comes over, scoops you into his arms and drops you in the pool and you didn’t have time to safely stash your cell phone. Okay, we’ll put down the romance novels. But, seriously, protect your iPhone from getting waterlogged. This $79.95 LifeProof case from REI lets you take your iPhone swimming, boating or out in the rain.
- Zippered wet bag: Whether you’ve just finished the swim portion of your triathlon or you’re headed straight from the beach to meet up with friends for dinner, stash your bathing suit in a zippered wet bag. We found a pretty patterned ‘Wet Happened?’ zippered bag over at Athleta for $18.
- Beach drink holder: Because sand isn’t a good mixer! These sand spiked beach drink holders at the Happy Thoughts Gifts shop on Etsy are pure genius. After a long day on the beach, enjoy a beverage and watch the sun set. Choose your cup holder color and get it monogrammed, too. $14.
- Beach waves: Even without your army of curling irons, hair sprays, combs and serums, you can still have a perfect hair style. When you get out of the pool, let your hair air dry for a few minutes, comb it and then spritz in some Brooklyn Beach Hair from Urban Outfitters. The product will give you loose surfer-girl curls.
Other articles you might also like:
• Genius gift ideas for grads heading off to college
• Five outdoor toys the whole family can enjoy
• Steal the ‘blue carpet’ looks from the Billboard Music Awards
• Gold rush: 6 gilded trends for those who didn’t win the Powerball
• How to look festive on Memorial Day — without being cheesy