5 ways to dress like it’s spring – even when it’s still cold outside
By Brittany Anas
Say it ain’t snow!
A good chunk of the United States — the Rocky Mountain region — is expected to get pounded by a snowstorm April 9. What a cheap shot! We just got excited about skirts and peep-toe heels.
Wherever you live, your spring wardrobe has likely been victim — at some point or another — to an unexpected cold front, wind storm or downpour of rain.
After all, the first day of spring was back on March 20, and the calendar was nudging us, saying, go ahead, unpack your floral dresses, straw fedoras and that blender you use to make strawberry daiquiris, err, smoothies. Now, we’re wondering where we stored our knit blankets and fleece-lined beanies.
If you’ve already unpacked your spring and summer wardrobe, fret not! There are plenty of ways you can get a sunny spring look, even if it doesn’t match the weather outside.
Here are 5 ways to winterize your spring wardrobe:
- Wear a floral or pastel scarf. Bundle up while still brightening up. Wear those winter sweaters and thick denim, but loop a soft floral or pastel scarf around your neck. Lavender is a trending color this spring, and it plays well with traditional winter creams, navy blues and army greens. Zulily has a lavender scarf with an eyelash fringe for $13.99.
- Swap rain boots for snow boots. Hunter boots have become majorly fashionable this year. They are classic … in every sense of the word. In World War I, the War Office called upon the company to manufacture boots for the flooded trenches. If they worked for troops — surely they’ll keep you covered on your wet commute. We love the rainbow of colors these boots come in. Find a pair at Nordstrom.
- Layer a chambray shirt under a dress. You can do that? Yes, yes you can. If you’ve got a floral patterned sleeveless shift dress, don’t keep her waiting until June. Just pop a lightweight denim chambray shirt underneath and wear a bejeweled necklace. The mix of masculine and feminine will strike a balance. Need inspiration? How about this floral sateen dress worn with this boyfriend chambray shirt from Gap?
- Grab a bright purse. The easiest way to give your outfit a spring refresh is to carry a floral or bright purse. (Psst … check out our article on how to grow a spring bag wardrobe). Here’s a bold blue floral print cross-body from Target for $19.99. Swoon!
- Go nautical. Nothing shouts spring like anchor prints and nautical stripes. Why not wear them on a knit sweater and stay cozy while still looking like you’re ready to sail away to the Hamptons? Get the look from Forever 21.
Other articles you might also like:
• RIP Margaret Thatcher, Lilly Pulitzer, Annette Funicello
• Miss Plus Size International dishes fashion advice
• Music festival style: Our favorite boho-chic pieces for the summer
• How to fake a tan and other spring beauty tips
• Neon ’80s roaring back into style this spring, summer
• Red carpet fashion for less: Derek Lam for Kohl’s now available online