3 ways to get a full-body workout while playing with your kids in the pool
Working out in the pool has so many perks. The water that surrounds you provides a continuous range of resistance, which forces you to use more muscles as you move through the pool. Being in the water is low-impact, so it’s easy on your bones. (That means no shin splits or ankle sprains). Working out in the pool feels more like play than work. And, being in the water also helps you stay cool.
Convinced yet? We hope so. Next time you take your kids to the pool, hop in the water with them.
Here are three muscle-toning, calorie-burning work-outs for the pool:
- Treading water: By just keeping yourself afloat, you can burn 10 calories a minute. To tread water, you’ll remain in a vertical position, keeping your head above water while sweeping your arms back and forth. Keep your wrists stiff. This motion is called “sculling.” Simultaneously, you’ll make flutter kicks with your legs — which are swift scissor-like motions. Once you’ve mastered treading water, try doing it with your hands above your head. You’ll turbo-charge your leg and core work-out. (Tip: If you are treading water with your hands above your head, give the lifeguard a heads up first so you’re not mistaken as a distressed swimmer).
- Pool lunges: You’ll want to borrow your kid’s pool noodle for this one and get in the shallow end. You’ll start by standing with your feet hip-width apart. Hold one end of the noodle in each hand, arms stretched out in front of you with your noodle bent in a U-shape. Push the noodle underwater while stepping with your right leg over the noodle, performing a lunge so that you finish with the noodle underneath your kneecap. Repeat with your left leg.
- Go for a ‘run’: Stay in the shallow end of the pool so that the water hits you at the waist or chest. Sprint across the width of the pool. (It will feel like you’re running in a dream because of the amount of resistance). Dodging out of the way of kids and lap swimmers will keep the workout interesting.
Need an athletic swimsuit and some pool gear? Use ShopAtHome.com to get 8 percent cash back from Nike.
Other articles you might also like:
• Expert tips on shopping for a mattress
• Unplug your family with these fun outdoor activities, games
• Tips for a health Memorial Day BBQ + a skinny dessert recipe
• 3 ways to sneak in exercise while you’re on vacation
• Put this — not that — on top of your frozen yogurt
• Fitness instructor Cassey Ho creates ‘Great Gatsby’ inspired work-out