5 weirdest things you can buy on SkyMall: electronics and home
By Aimee Heckel
Hello, Jetsons! When you’re cruising on an airplane, it’s easy to feel a little like you’re time-traveling with the Jetsons. Just browse the ubiquitous on-flight catalog, SkyMall. This magazine offers a wide selection of interesting and odd gadgets and electronics — many with scientific claims as factually sound as a retro cartoon. (In other words, not very.)
Here are five of the weirdest gadgets and items for the home you can buy on SkyMall.
1. iGrow Hair Rejuvenation Laser, $695. This futuristic helmet is packed with 21 lasers and 30 LEDs that claim to stimulate “full scalp maximum effectiveness.” It guarantees thicker, fuller hair in weeks. We’ve got to admit — we’ve never tried this out to say whether the claim is bogus or legit. But if we ever are looking for a kind of scary, red-glowing, silver helmet — hair growth notwithstanding — this guy’s headed to the top of our list. Did we mention all of the customer reviews rate it four to five stars?
2. Magic coaster, $24.99-$59.99. This coaster is truly magical, because it claims to instantly age and refine red wines. It can make your cheap box wine taste like top shelf. How? Magnetic energy. And magic, it would seem.
3. Never know what to get that sociopath murderer in the family? SkyMall has the answer: a human-shaped knife holder, $79.99. Just stick your butcher knifes through the pre-slit spots on the body’s head, heart, stomach, knee and thigh, and you will never again have to dig through the drawer to find just the blade your impulses are demanding. And of course, the stabbed body is painted red. But of course.
4. Mounted squirrel head, $24.95. Forget the prize antelope or elk. Show Mother Nature who’s boss with a fake mounted squirrel head that doesn’t even vaguely look realistic.
5. Bacon rug, $29.95. You know what would really accentuate a mounted squirrel head and human-shaped knife holder? This question’s rhetorical; a bacon rug, of course. Although SkyMall offers minimal details about the rug (some things are beyond even SkyMall’s words), it appears the rug is not made out of actual bacon. That item is probably scheduled to be released next month.
Tip: You don’t have to be sitting on an airplane to buy your own kitschy home decor from SkyMall. Browse the online catalogue at SkyMall.com. Order through ShopAtHome.com and get 15 percent off storewide, plus 3 percent cash back — no minimum purchase.
You might also enjoy: