4 ways to outsmart your ‘snooze’ button
By Brittany Anas
Slapping that snooze button in the morning is like making a little deal with the devil. Five to 10 minutes of extra sleep is all you need … and then one more snooze session. OK, one more. Just one more mini-interval of sleep.Next thing you know, you’re shorting your morning routine and leaving for work with still-damp hair, no breakfast to fuel you, and, well no time to floss. The problem with that “extra sleep” you’re bargaining for in the morning is that you don’t get to fall into a deep sleep — the kind that leaves us feel refreshed throughout the day. Those little intervals in the morning aren’t good enough and because they don’t let you move through the sleep cycle, they could cause you to be groggy throughout the day, according to this CNN article.
- Set your alarm later. We tend to have lofty goals when we’re setting our alarm clocks at night — thinking that the chirping birds will pull back our curtains and we’ll jump out of bed ready to start the day. Be realistic about your wake time and don’t allow yourself for any “snooze” intervals. Set your alarm for the latest time that you can afford to wake up — while still being able to get adequately ready for the day.
- Set a sleep schedule. If it’s possible, go to bed the same time every night and wake up the same time every day. A regular sleep schedule — even on the weekends and during vacations — can stave off that groggy feeling. Before you know it, you’ll be waking up refreshed and a few minutes before the alarm starts to chirp.
- Move your alarm clock away from your bed. It’s almost become a natural reaction to reach over and hit the snooze button in the morning. But, if you place the alarm on the dresser instead of the nightstand and actually have to move to turn it off you’re more likely to stay awake.
- Get an alarm clock that will run away from you! The Clocky Rolling Alarm Clock will lead you on a little chase in the morning. Think of it as your friend, looking out for you and making sure you’re waking up on time. This is a great idea if you have a hard time waking up your kids and a genius gift idea for any sleepyheads you need to shop for in the future. When you shop at Fat Brain Toys with ShopAtHome.com, you’ll earn up to 5 percent Cash Back.
Read more articles about Fat Brain Toys here.
Other articles you might also like:
- Tips to help you pick the right gym
- See the ‘Cosby’ sweaters at the Olympics? Here’s three winning looks