6 ways to slim down St. Paddy’s Day & still enjoy your green beer
By Brittany Anas
The Shamrock shakes. The hefty meat and potato meals. Oh, and how could we forget the Guinness on tap or the Lucky Charms? What’s the nutritional content of green food dye?
Like every holiday, there can be some diet pitfalls when it comes to celebrating with good cheer (and good beer). Here are some strategies for slimming down St. Paddy’s Day, but still enjoying the Irish festivities and foods and keeping it green.
- Green smoothies. Green smoothies have been one of our favorite health trends of the past couple years — known for their mighty nutritional value and because they are a yummy way to add more veggies and antioxidants to our daily diet. Here’s a pear and arugula recipe courtesy of Kitchen Konfidence that also uses Greek yogurt, pine nuts and fresh ginger. Love green smoothies? Check out The Green Smoothie Bible, which has more than 300 recipes using leafy greens that will help you lose weight and naturally boost your energy levels. (Earn up to 2 percent Cash Back on your Walmart purchases).
- Leperchaun chase. St. Paddy’s falls on a Monday this year. Go ahead and build up a calorie bank before the festivities start. Try a themed run. At the Leprechaun Chase (race locations here). There’s green beer awaiting at the finish line — which is kinda’ like gold at the end of the rainbow, yes? Not a runner? Get jiggy with it at your local St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Burn some calories walking the parade route or dancing along with the Irish step dancers.
- Green up your plate: Show your green on your plate. (Go ahead and threaten to pinch others at your table if they have plates that are less than one-third green).
- Serve cabbage: The sidekick to corn beef is chock-full of nutrition. It’s high in fiber, contains sulforaphane, which helps your body ward off cancer and is an excellent source of Vitamin C. (You can get more than 75 percent of your daily dose of Vitamin C from one cup of red cabbage).
- Drink some green tea. Toast to the holiday with a hot cup of green tea. The benefits are plentiful: It revs up the metabolism, the theanine is believed to cause relaxation and green tea can reduce high blood pressure. Cheers!
- Go light with your beer. Going for a black and tan? Opt for a light beer on top to trim some calories from your pilsner.
Read more articles about Walmart here.
Other articles you might also like: