7 annoying gym sins you might be committing
By Brittany Anas
It’s rumored that Gwyneth Paltrow has some pretty ridiculous gym demands: She must have a certain brand of bottled water. She must have an untouched, new roll of toilet paper, according to a recent article in The Gloss detailing her most ridiculous gym demands. And the shower must be cleaned and wiped dry before she enters, the article says. (OK, the last one resonates a bit with anybody who gets grossed out by stray hairs and has germaphobe tendencies).
As outlandish as some of Gwyneth’s demands are — most all of us gym-goers have something that irks us about the shared work-out space. Of course the solution would be to build an elaborate home gym and bring in some personal trainers, though we suspect Gwyneth may be the only one among us who can afford that.
Actually most of these gym sins can be cured with a little common courtesy — and some towels.
Here are seven of the most common gym sins:
1. Not wiping down your machines: Ever step on the Stairmaster and nearly slide right off because the handles are dripping in sweat? Somebody else’s sweat to boot. (Shudder!) Be a good gym pal and wipe down your machines and equipment when you’re done. Most gyms have little sanitizer bottles you can squirt on the equipment for a quick clean up. You can even get personalized gym towels from Personalization Mall, where you’ll get 7.5 percent Cash Back from ShopAtHome.com.
2. Hoarding the machines: We know you’re in beast mode, but when you’re taking a break between sets and the gym is busy — hop off and let somebody else have a turn. And, don’t you dare take your break on the equipment while gibber-gabbering. Add 10 rude points if you’re talking on you’re cell phone.
3. Showing up late to a group exercise class: People are drawing their invisible boundaries in work-out classes — giving themselves enough space to fully extend their legs, for example, during a kickboxing class. When you arrive late, you are likely smushing into somebody’s else’s space. You see, now her fully extended kick is going to be more of a twitch. Well, that’s if she’s nice. (And, don’t leave early. Stay with the rest of us and do a few cool down stretches).
4. Dropping your weights: It’s dangerous, yes. And the whole gym doesn’t need to feel the thunderous quake of your weights. While you’re at it, stop making guttural noises, too. The ladies don’t respond well to your mating calls.
5. Naked locker room chit-chatting. We get it. You’re free-spirited. Comfortable in your own skin. Letting yourself air dry because you’re so natural. But, the rest of us don’t know where to make eye contact and it confuses our social norms. Again, a towel is a quick fix.
6. Stepping on somebody’s mat: We have to downward dog our noses into that spot you just bigfooted.
7. Flirting: It’s a health club. Not a night club. So cut it out with the ogling. Ladies, for your part, don’t wear perfume to the gym. That floral perfume with a musky sweat undertone is nauseating.
Read more articles about Personalization Mall here.
Other articles you might also like:
- 5 iPhone apps to tip off the 2013-14 NBA season
- Healthy sandwiches you can make with a panini press
- How to conquer your fears of group exercise classes