5 best air travel apps
By Aimee Heckel
Being a savvy traveler today means being smart with your smartphone. You would be amazed by all of the things your phone can do for you today: Book a hotel, help you pick a restaurant in the airport — even land a better seat on the airplane.
Here are our favorite five must-have travel apps to download before your next trip.
1. SeatGuru by TripAdvisor — This app gives you (mostly accurate) access to your plane’s seat map to help you better strategize which of the tiny boxes you are going to pick to seatbelt your body into. Also helps you find low airfares, offers flight alerts, learn about in-flight amenities and offers other recommendations to make your flight more comfortable, or at least tolerable. Free for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch.
2. GateGuru — This app handles everything (real-time flight status with push notifications, security line wait times, last-minute rental car reservations at discounted rates), but our favorite feature is the airport info. Wondering where to grab lunch or pass your layover time? Wonder no more. It’s no wonder CNN named this one of the top air travel apps. Free for Apple and Android products.
3. Kayak — If you are familiar with the website Kayak.com (which you should have prominently bookmarked, plus Kayak.com deals), you will know the value in downloading this app. Compare flight, hotel and car prices; book your hotel; track your flight; search by specific criteria. We love access to your personal full itinerary. Free for Apple products and Androids.
4. FlightTrack Pro — With so many excellent free apps, we were hesitant to back one that costs $9.99 — until we learned that FlightTrack Pro was psychic. Yes, this app can project delays using current and historical information (and presumably a crystal ball). If you are OCD and/or you value a beautifully designed, top-of-the-line air travel app, you will dig through this app like a kid in a candy store.
5. Hotel Tonight — So your flight lands. Presumably, you have earlier considered the fact that you will need to sleep somewhere tonight. But what if you haven’t? What if plans have changed? What if you are an explorer who gets a kick out of impulsive decisions? Or what if you are the kind of person who loves scoring an unbeatable, last-minute deal on a hotel? Ah, ding-ding-ding. With Hotel Tonight, you can book same-day rooms for up to 70 percent off. Free for Apples and Droids.
You might also enjoy:
Cheap trips to Colombia
The five best electronics for the high-tech traveler