Avoid Foolish Shopping Mistakes – Savvy Shopping Can Save You Thousands
FROM PAYING FULL PRICE TO FOOTING THE BILL FOR SHIPPING, SHOPATHOME.COM SETS THE RECORD STRAIGHT
Denver, CO. – March 28, 2013 – ShopAtHome.com, the largest coupon search engine that connects upwards of 12 million consumers each month to the best deals and cash back savings, today released the results of its ‘Foolish Shopping Mistakes’ survey. The survey of ShopAtHome.com’s 4.4 million Facebook fans revealed shopping mistakes that even the savviest couponers and deal hunters are guilty of.
“Our customers are highly educated on deals and are considered experts on savings,” said Marc Braunstein, co-founder and CEO of ShopAtHome.com. “However, we still see some money left on the table when it comes to shopping, and ways both retailers and shoppers can educate themselves on how to make the most of their online shopping footprint.”
Regardless of what consumers are searching for, from travel to daily essentials, there are deals to be had. Below are just a few areas that even the most veteran savers could use a refresher on:
Travel – Packages are key to saving
Timing plays a significant factor in the final cost when booking travel. However, when trying to maximize savings, the best bet is to book a complete package together through one provider. Even ShopAtHome.com’s audience, arguably an educated and experienced savings demographic, wasn’t clear on what would save users the most.
- 39 percent correctly cited booking packages as the highest contributor to overall travel savings
- 48.2 percent cited booking early
- 7.5 percent cited booking items separately so you are certain you pay the least for each item
- 5.3 percent believed booking last minute would save the most
Coupons & Sales – Can you always save?
Even the availability of savings opportunities tripped up the ShopAtHome.com audience.
- 50.8 percent believed you can always find a sale or coupon
- 24.1 percent believed there were certain items that simply never go on sale
- 14.3 percent believed it is difficult or tacky to purchase certain items, such as a gift, at a deep discount
- 10.9 percent believed new items, such as the latest electronics, are nearly impossible to save on
While some items seem to never officially “go on sale,” cash back offerings through sites like ShopAtHome.com provide another great way to maximize savings in addition to coupons and deals.
Free Shipping – An absolute must
Free shipping is incredibly important to online shoppers, and therefore important for retailers to use merchandising strategies to offer free shipping.
“We work directly with our retail partners to craft compelling free shipping offers, helping both the consumer and retailers,” said Erin McCue, director of merchandising at ShopAtHome.com. “By carefully planning shipping thresholds, we are able to provide a benefit to consumers while increasing sales as well as average order values, for the retailer.”
- 48.6 percent of respondents will shop elsewhere or buy an item in store if a merchant doesn’t offer free shipping
- 33.1 percent will spend a little more than planned to qualify for free shipping
- 18.4 percent will only buy what’s needed, even if it means they have to pay for shipping
For additional tips and shopping mistakes to avoid, please visit www.shopathome.com/online-shopping-report
This survey was polled to ShopAtHome.com’s more than 4.4 million Facebook fans, with a total of 787 respondents.
Founded in 1986 by husband-and-wife team Marc and Claudia Braunstein, ShopAtHome.com is the web’s largest provider and only aggregator of online coupons, Cash Back rewards and printable grocery and restaurant coupons. For more information visit www.ShopAtHome.com.