Best Foods to Buy in Bulk & Save Money
We all have a list of pantry items we absolutely must have on hand, and some of those staples can save you tons of money if you stock up on them in bulk. In general, the best foods to buy in bulk include those that can be stored for extended periods, are a regular part of you and your family’s weekly diet, and come with amazing savings when purchased in large quantities. Check out several specific examples of the best foods to buy in bulk below.
Purchasing single breakfast bars at a convenience store gets pricey ($2-3 per bar). However, if you know what kind of bar you like, you can easily get bulk discounts online. Specific bulk food discounts we’ve seen are from brands like KIND, Quest, Clif bars and Nature Valley. Here’s an example of energy bar prices when you purchase in bulk.
- Clif Bars – $1.11 per bar, when you buy a pack of 12 from jet.com
- Kind Bars- $1.09 per bar, when you buy a pack of 12 from Amazon.com
- Nature Valley Crunch Bars – $0.30 per bar when you buy a pack of 49 from boxed.com
- Quest Bars – $1.75 each when you buy a pack of 12 from walmart.com
Whether you’re a choosy mom who chooses Jif or your family’s a fan of Peter Pan, bulk peanut butter is absolutely delicious for saving you money. And if a 5-pound or larger jar of peanut butter sounds crazy, just do the math and you’ll see how quickly the savings can add up (and the jar emptied).
- Jif Peanut Butter – $9.76 for 64 oz at jet.com
- PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter – $8.47 for 16 oz at walmart.com
- Justin’s Peanut Butter – $6-6.50 for 16 oz at jet.com
- Justin’s Almond Butter – $14.81 for 16 oz at jet.com
Note that a standard jar of peanut butter is 16 oz.
If you have kids, you probably go through snacks at an alarming rate which is why bulk foods are basically the best. Here are some of the best bulk snack food deals we found:
- Pirates Booty and other popcorn – $11-12 per box, when you buy a 24-pack of single servings from amazon.com
- Family sized pretzels – $2-3 per bag from walmart.com
- Assorted cookies – $2-6 per bag/pack from jet.com
- 40 count chip variety pack – $13-20 per pack from boxed.com
Peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts – nuts definitely rank as one of the best foods to buy in bulk for amazing savings. Nuts also rank as one of the healthiest and heartiest snacks, packed with heart-friendly things like Omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and Vitamin E. Bulk options typically include purchasing a large supply of a single variety or going for mixed nuts that give you a tasty bite of a wide variety.
Our favorite places to browse for bulk nuts are Nuts.com and Boxed.com. Pick up trail mixes, single nut packs, and more from $4.99
Like nuts, coffee is another pantry staple that can quickly amass huge savings when purchased in bulk. This counts for just about any variety and tons of different brands, whether you’re a fan of flavored, decaffeinated, or even if you need specialized packets to suit a particular coffee maker. You can even mix and match different varieties to create your own unique blend that keeps you saving money with each and every sip.
Some of the best prices we’ve seen for bulk coffee are:
- Starbucks Frappaccino Coffee Drink 15ct – $21.99 from jet.com
- Dunkin Donuts Original Ground Coffee 2.5 pound bag – $22.29 from amazon.com
- 5 lbs bags of coffee, variety of brands – $25-75.00 on amazon.com
- Assorted K-cups, 100 ct. for $51.99 on boxed.com
Other thinks to pick up in bulk are cooking and baking staples like the following products.
- Sugar, including sugar alternatives like Stevia and Honey
- Healthy grains like flax, chia seeds, lentils, and barley
Where to Buy Foods in Bulk
Scanning through the above post, you’ve probably noticed a handful of companies winning in bulk foods. The best places to purchase bulk foods are Jet.com, Walmart.com, Boxed.com, and Amazon.com.
Both Jet.com and Walmart.com offer free two-day shipping, as does Amazon if you have Amazon Prime. With Boxed, you’ll need to order a minimum of $50-79, depending on where you live in order to qualify an order.
How to Save More
When you make any purchase on the above retailer websites, you can save an additional 1-6% if you visit Shopathome.com before you make your purchase. Simply click on these links to active the deals!
While buying such staples in bulk may save you money wherever purchase them, you can get some of the hottest bulk food prices online at Jet.com, Walmart.com, and Shop.com. And don’t forget to check out the deals that are always going down on Shopathome.com to add even more savings to the mix.