How to dress dapper dogs in bow ties, raincoats and other accessories
We’re in (puppy) love this spring with preppy bow ties, practical rain coats and cutesy collars for our four-legged companions.
Sure, lots of dogs don’t like to be wrangled into a full-on outfit. (After all, cute as pet clothes may be, safety and comfort need to be top priorities for your dog). But if Fido will throw us a bone, we’re practically panting to toss back some more subtle accessories that are fun for spring.
Here’s how to give your dog a lil’ swag this spring:
- Bow ties: Or, should we call them bow-wow-wow ties? Strap a Velcro bow tie on your dog over his collar to give the little guy a preppy look for formal events and photos, or, you know, for begging nearby the grill at a weekend barbecue. The PupRWear Dog Boutique has some charming plaid ties that come in various sizes to fit necks of all breeds from chihuahuas to bulldogs. For dogs with small necks, look in the children’s sections at stores such as Target for strap-on bow ties. For a female dog, here are some ladylike pink and yellow attachable bows from PetSmart.
- Raincoats: Yes, your dog has a natural coat, we know. But, small dogs — Yorkies, for example — are more likely to lose their body heat than larger dogs. Also, short-hair pups are more apt to get cold, according to vets. When looking for a coat, be sure it fits your dog well and the arm, leg and neck holes are loose and comfortable. This Hurtta Raincoat from REI is windproof and waterproof and has a breathable fabric to help keep your dog dry and clean.
- T-shirts: PetSmart is loaded with funny and unique T-shirts that are sure to make your dog stand out at the dog park. Here are a few faves: Who let the dogs out T-shirt for $5.99; Bad to the Bone T-shirt for $5.99; and the Eligible bachelor T-shirt for $4.97.
- Collars: If it’s impossible to get your dog to wear anything, don’t push him. Just dress him up with a fancy collar. Petco sells a patriotic stars collar perfect for Memorial Day and a cabana striped one for year-round.
Other articles you might also like:
• Quick ways to give your home a spring update
• Lesley loves: NYC New York Color 16-hour lip stain
• Melissa McCarthy stumbles through SNL monologue, teaches us shoe lesson
• 5 ways to dress like it’s spring, even when it’s cold outside
• RIP Margaret Thatcher, Lilly Pulitzer, Annette Funicello
• Miss Plus Size International dishes fashion advice