Celebrate National Bike Month in the heart of the action: Portland
If you’re looking for a vacation adventure, consider making it two-wheeled. May is National Bike Month, sponsored by the League of American Bicyclists. The goal: Get more bikes on the roads.
The Census Bureau reports the number of Americans who commute by bike has surged 47 percent since 2000, and many bike-friendly towns have more than doubled the number of bikes on the road.
If you’re considering a cycling vacation, the Travel Channel recently released its top 10 cycling cities in the United States.
Topping the list: Portland, Ore.
The inspiration behind the comedy show Portlandia has long been leading the bike movement. Statistics show that 9 percent of residents in some Portland areas use bicycles as their main form of transportation, and as many as 48 percent use bikes as an occasional commuting vehicle in some areas. And that number is a few years old.
An article by USA Today last year reported 6 percent of all trips to work in Portland are via bike — the highest percentage in the nation.
- Check out the popular bike rental shops, such as Fat Tire Farm and Bike N Hike.
- Ride through Forest Park, a giant urban preserve.
- Looking to buy a new bike? Vanilla Bicycles is one of the local companies that makes bikes. Tip: Click here for information on free shipping.
- If you love bikes and are looking for a unique group activity, BrewCycle is ideal for a vacation with friends. Hop on this hilarious group bike set up, listen to your favorite tunes and ride from brewery to brewery.
- Learn more about biking in Portland online at BikePortland.org.
Looking to get a new bike?
- Are you a cruiser kind of biker? Even Walmart sells cruiser bikes, such as the Genesis Onyx, for $149.97.
- Check out the great selection of bikes from Bikes Direct — where you can save up to 60 percent, plus get free shipping and pay no tax. Save even more buy checking the ShopAtHome.com Bikes Direct coupons.
Want to ride more? Check out these five steps to riding better.
Want to get involved? Click here to find National Bike Month events in your area.
You might also enjoy:
Photo courtesy of BikePortland.org