Cheap spring break vacation deals for families
By Aimee Heckel
The college crew gets all the attention when it comes to spring break talk. But kids of all ages — and by default, many of their families — get a week off every spring, too.
You’re not going to drag your munchkins to Cabo. Not unless you plan on having a lot of uncomfortable Talks (yes, with a capital “T”). And you can bet Disney World is going to be slammed. In fact, spring break is one of the busiest times of years for Mickey and Minnie.
Here are some other fun, family-centered spring break vacation ideas:
1. Plan a staycation. Instead of going somewhere, stay home, save the money and plan special events. Start a Staycation Jar, which you fill with different events, meals, events, games and projects that your family can do at home. Let the book, “The Staycation Jar: 200 Family Fun Ideas for Creative Meals, Main Events, Silliness, Love Projects,” by Erica McNeal inspire you. Find it on Amazon.com for your Kindle for $2.99.
As McNeal writes: “No hotels. No airplanes. No jet lag. Less stress. More spontaneity. No keeping two young children occupied for twelve plus hours of travel, while giving your spouse the death look that says, ‘We are never doing this again!’”
And while you’re on Amazon.com, here is a coupon code to try Amazon Prime for free for 30 days.
2. Visit our nation’s capitol, Washington, D.C. Learn about our country’s history and about the political system. Plus, many spring breaks fall during the same two weeks (March 20-April 14) as the district’s National Cherry Blossom Festival, with tons of events and Japanese cultural performances — many of which are free.
3. Instead of following the crowds, follow the deals. Be adventurous and instead of picking a destination, pick somewhere new with a great deal. Here are some travel deals going on right now:
- Take a last-minute cruise through Priceline.com starting at $60 per night. That’s up to 75 percent off. Plus get up to 6 percent cash back if you book it through ShopAtHome.com.
- Go on a road trip. Enterprise is offering $9.99 per day car rentals Friday through Monday, plus get 2 percent cash back when you book through ShopAtHome.com. That’s one of the cheapest rental car prices we’ve seen in a long time.
- Head overseas. American Airlines Vacations has a current deal to save hundreds on a getaway to “German’s metropolis on the River Rhine,” Duesseldorf. This bustling city is known as Germany’s fashion capital, as well. Book through ShopAtHome.com and get 2 percent cash back.
You might also enjoy: