Closet rescue: 4 easy tips for your most organized closet ever
By Brittany Anas
Sure, we may have been dreaming of a remote-controlled closet with endless wardrobe possibilities ever since we saw Clueless back in the 1990’s. But scientists who study happiness show that fewer choices actually translates to greater happiness. Think about it for a minute: Imagine opening up a closet and really loving ever item that’s in sight.
With New Year’s resolutions kicking our spring cleaning rituals into gear early, we’re here with some tips and philosophies to help you clear out your closet so that you’ll never have a “I don’t know what to wear?!” moment again.
We’ve shopped supplies at Bed, Bath and Beyond, where you’ll get 5 percent Cash Back and get other great deals from ShopAtHome.com.
- Clear it out. Take a good, honest look at your closet and weed out all of the clothes and shoes and accessories you’re no longer wearing. A good rule of thumb is that if you haven’t worn an item in the last year and it’s not a special-occasion piece, it’s time to part ways. Get rid of anything that doesn’t fit. For the items that fall in the “maybe” category, tie a string around the hanger and put it on a 6-month probationary period. If you haven’t worn it by July, it’s time to head to the Goodwill.
- Save space. Ditch the bulky, plastic hangers and replace them with some space-savers like these Real Simple slimline hangers. Neatly organize five pairs of pants on a single slimline hanger that will take advantage of vertical space in your closet.
- Corral your jewelry and accessories. Call them the support cast members of your wardrobe: Accessories. But they are most definitely an organizational challenge. Corral earrings and bracelets and necklaces into this Umbra Little Dress jewelry organizer that’s adorable and will hang on your closet hook. For scarves, try this matching, hanging organizer.
- Get your shoes in order: You’re hopping around on one foot looking for the stray black boot that must be somewhere in your closet. That’s no way to start off a morning, right? A shoe rack will help keep your shoes in perfect order — from an over-the-door shoe bag to a low, stackable wire shoe rack. Or, try something new and fun: A shoe wheel (pictured).Be sure to keep your boots standing upright with these Real Simple boot tongs.
Read more articles about Bed, Bath and Beyond here.
Other articles you might also like:
- Countdown: The best (and worst) fashion trends 2013 had to offer
- 3 great products to help organize your kids’ new toys
- Cold weather style guide: How to look fashionable even in a blizzard