Clutches you can bring to games in light of new NFL handbag ban
Football-loving fashionistas: Don’t even think about bringing that new teal purse from Coach’s fall collection to an upcoming NFL home game. Handbags won’t make it past security this year. (Which is probably a good thing anyways because you don’t want to drip nacho cheese and sudsy beer on that baby anyways).
Here’s the deal: The NFL is banning handbags, backpacks, camera bags, fanny packs (cringe) and even oversized large, clear tote bags. Among the alternative suggestions is Ziploc bags — and we know your Mac lipstick deserves better than that, so we won’t even go there.
The tightened security rules come in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombings. So let’s be good sports in the name of safety. And look good, too.
Here’s what you need to know about the NFL’s new security rules and tips for looking stylish on game day while adhering to the new rules.
1. Show your team spirit with a clear plastic tote. The NFL’s new rules require clear plastic totes be no bigger than 12 inches tall and 12 inches wide. We found a big selection of clear totes with your favorite team’s logo over at the NFL Shop. Caution, though. They are selling out quickly and many are on back order given the new rule. You can find bags starting at $9.95. Shop here.
2. Go small, or go home. Tiny purses the size of your hand (without the straps) are A-OK. The NFL is calling them clutches — but we beg to differ. The rules say that small bags can be 6.5 inches wide and 4.5 inches tall — not counting the handle. When you’re shopping for such clutches, most stores will provide the dimensions — and, as a precautionary note, a lot of the small bags are at least 9 inches wide. Go even smaller. We’ve found a great collection of “Carry-All Cases” at Fossil that are on sale and where you can get an extra 8 percent Cash Back from ShopAtHome.com. The bags are 5.25 inches long and 3.5 inches tall and they can stash a few cards and your smart phone. Our fave is the Starburst pattern, which happens to be on sale for $19.99.
3. Wear pockets: If you’re planning to carry some chapstick or change — wear pockets. The rules allow a few exceptions for items that you need for medical purposes, but you’ll have to go through a special gate.
Read more articles about Fossil here.
Other articles you might also like:
- Fall 2013 beauty trends: From cat-eyes to berry shades
- Fall 2013 fashion forecast: Plaid, coatigans and drop waists
- Hut-Hut Hike: Here’s how to throw an awesome fantasy football party