Color psychology and kids: Pick the perfect wall paint colors
By Aimee Heckel
What our eyes see on the outside can affect how we feel on the inside. Multiple studies back up the idea of “color psychology,” or the power of the paint we choose to put on our walls and decorate our homes with.
With children, the colors we pick can influence how well they sleep, how well they remember things and even how well they do in school.
Whether you’re designing a new nursery, updating your toddler’s room or putting together a special study area for your teenager, the colors you select matter more than you may realize. Here are some tips on the psychology of color, as well as some helpful tools to help you select the right color.
Emotions associated with certain colors
Bold red, orange and yellow: Mentally stimulating, energizing, good for development
Rich red: Excitable, possible improved athletic ability, could increase aggression
Orange: Improve communication, can be overstimulating
Pink: Calming, but too much can bring on anxiety
Blue: Calming, can help sleeping, refreshing, can lower blood pressure
Purple: Stable yet energetic, luxurious, wise
Yellow: Cheery, but can also bring impatience
How to pick a wall color
You can find plenty of virtual help in picking the right color.
- Upload a picture of your room, furniture or a centerpiece artwork to Sherwin Williams’ Chip It website and it will break it down into complimentary colors to try in that room.
- Download Benjamin Moore’s free Color Capture app to your smartphone, and it will offer you the right match for any picture you upload.
- Pick up inexpensive samples of paint and put a test patch on your wall. You may be surprised by how different it looks on your wall and in different light throughout the day.
- Use a fan deck to help you select complimentary colors and take out the guesswork. Save $3.50 on a Benjamin Moore fan deck with these coupons from MyPerfectColor.
- When you finally find the right color, save money on all that paint with these Ace Hardware coupons, paired with 3 percent Cash Back from ShopAtHome.com. Our favorite deal: Get $15 off a purchase of $100 or more. Read more articles about saving money at Ace Hardware here.
Save money on other purchases for your babies and kids with these coupons.
Other articles you might also enjoy: