Couples’ Halloween costume ideas (that aren’t cheesy)
By Brittany Anas
Couples’ costumes can go horribly awry. Just ask the girl dressed as jelly who got stood up by her date, peanut butter — leaving her to strap a piece of cardboard on her back and explain to people she was costumed as, um, jelly toast. Or there’s the costumes that are trite — like the nurse and doctor combo.
But, when done right, a well-planned out couples’ costume can be worthy of the top honors at a costume contest. And you don’t have to have a significant other to go dressed as a duo. Coming off the heels of the Breaking Bad season finale, you and a buddy could go as Walt and Jesse — without props. Got a group of girlfriends? Find some mod dresses and go as the women in Mad Men.
Here are a few of our favorite couples costumes ideas from the Kohl’s Halloween shop. Now through Oct. 16, online shoppers will get an extra 15 percent off costumes with the code “Ghostly15.” Stack that deal with the extra 3.5 percent Cash Back you get at Kohl’s (www.shopathome.com/kohls-coupons.html)from ShopAtHome.com, and you’ve scared up a great deal.
- Cat in the Hat: And if you’ve got kids, they can go as Thing 1 and Thing 2.
- Monsters, Inc: With the success of Monsters University this summer, this Mike & Sully costume is an adorable idea for parents who want to give a friendly scare.
- Beer & Pretzels: Go ahead and just wear these costumes throughout the month of October at beer fests and Oktoberfest celebrations.
- Captain America: Talk about a power couple costume. The superhero duo costume idea packs a patriotic punch, too.
- Nintendo costume collection: How about a Mario and Luigi costume — with a box of pizza as a prop? Just don’t cringe if the kids these days refer to Nintendo as “old school” or “vintage.” If you’ve got some kids to dress up, too, there’s also a toad and princess costumes. This set is obviously a win for us.
- Popeye and Olive Oyl costumes: Bring these animated characters to life through these costumes. Give Olive Oyl some bright red lipstick and Popeye some instant muscles. Hey, you might even get your kids to eat spinach for dinner.
- Glee Puck & Cheerios costume: Be prepared to take special requests.
- Scooby-Doo Fred and Daphne costumes: Bonus points if you can convert your minivan and roll up to the party in a “Mystery Machine.”
Read more articles about Kohl’s here.
Other articles you might also like: