Cyber Monday sales set online record to eclipse Black Friday mark
By Jay Keller
The holiday shopping season is off to a record start as online sales on Monday became the highest ever as consumers spent more on Cyber Monday than Black Friday 2012.
Cyber Monday sales growth was led by several industries including department stores, health and beauty, home goods and apparel sales.
A new trend has emerged this holiday season as more consumers are going mobile helped by the availability and convenience of tablets and smartphones.
Cyber Monday 2012 became the biggest spending day ever with online sales growing 30 percent over the same period last year, according to the IBM 2012 Holiday Benchmark Report. Additionally, online sales climbed more than 36 percent over Black Friday as consumers went back to work and conducted more of their shopping from their PC instead of their mobile device.
Holiday shoppers on Cyber Monday gravitated towards online promotions, product availability and convenience. Sales on eBay Inc’s online marketplace were particularly strong and Amazon.com Inc continued its rapid holiday shopping season growth, according to early Cyber Monday data released by e-commerce firm ChannelAdvisor.
Department stores continued to offer compelling deals and promotions that drove sales to grow by 43 percent year over year, according to the IBM report. Holiday shoppers once again choosing to pamper themselves this holiday as health and beauty sales increased 25 percent in 2012.
Home goods maintained its momentum this year, reporting a nearly 27 percent increase in sales from Cyber Monday 2011, while apparel sales were also strong this holiday with Cyber Monday numbers showing an increase of at least 25 percent over 2011.
Apple products continue to dominate the online-shopping landscape with consumers using both the iPad and iPhone more often than Android devices. The iPad, however, became a real factor between Black Friday and Cyber Monday than any year since launch driving more than seven percent of online shopping.
Mobile commerce overall during the 2012 holiday weekend, between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, nearly doubled as compared with 2011. The iPad was used by over 90 percent of online holiday shoppers while the Amazon Kindle , Samsung Galaxy and the Barnes and Noble Nook comprised the remaining 10 percent respectively.