Red carpet fashion for less: Derek Lam for Kohl’s now available online
By Brittany Anas
Leave it to Kohl’s to outfit you in a high-end designer label made to look like you’re jet-setting to South American beaches — but with pieces starting at just $36.
Designer Derek Lam’s limited-edition spring collection, inspired by the beaches of Brazil, hits Kohl’s stores on April 5, but select pieces are already online at Kohls.com. He’s second to bat for the DesigNation project that sends high-end designers to a location of their choosing to collect inspiration for their pieces. Narcisco Rodriguez was first to participate back in November, when his Istanbul-inspired collection graced Kohl’s racks. Kohl’s announced designer Catherine Malandrino is next in line. She chose Paris as her muse, and her collection will debut in stores this fall.
Lam translated the landscape of Rio De Janeiro — with its lush greens and bright oceanic blues — into color-blocked dresses and digital print blouses. The clothing is diverse, ranging from relaxed chambray, loose-fitting Bermunda shorts and swimwear to tailored, color-blocked pieces that will infuse some color into your office cubicle. The best part? Prices range from $36 to $88, which is a sliver of the price the designer’s designs usually cost. (Need proof? We spotted a $4,450 blue leather Derek Lam dress).
Lam has designed for actresses like Diane Kruger and Kristen Stewart. He was also among the designers who participated in the Neiman Marcus + Target collaboration last holiday season. Lam launched his own fashion empire in 2003 after working as vice president of design for Michael Kors’ Kors line.
Here’s a first glimpse at Derek Lam’s line for Kohl’s and some of our favorite pieces.
- Blush maxi skirt with, surprise!, buttons, $54. The drawstring skirt can be slipped over a bathing suit or paired with a silky blouse.
- A sleek black jumpsuit, $88, re-invents the trend with sheer fabric near the neckline. This jumpsuit looks grown up. Paired with some over-sized sunglasses, it would be perfect for brunch on a patio.
- Asymmetrical seam skirt with swaths of bright blue, $54. Wear a body-skimming blouse with this full skirt to achieve a balanced look.
- This button-down bib woven shirt, $48, with digital prints can be disguised as a shirt dress when neatly tucked into a black pencil skirt.
- A V-neck maxi dress, $88, can be dressed up with a white blazer and a gold chain belt for dinner or be worn alone for pool-side reading.
Derek Lam’s shoe designs won’t be part of the Kohl’s collection. But check out DSW for some great designer labels for less.
Other articles you might also like :
• Sneek peek: Celeb stylist Kate Young launching ‘red carpet line for Target’
• Lesley loves: L’Occitane spring cherry perfume
• Spring 2013 hair trends + how to dress up your ponytail
• Prom 2013 style guide + dresses starting at $58
• How to fake a tan and other spring beauty tips
• What went wrong in girl’s viral hair-burning video