Easy ways to enjoy quinoa
by Shelley Langenhorst
There’s a new, high powered grain in town that is here to stay. A complete protein, quinoa is a nutritional powerhouse that is a great addition to any healthy diet.
While technically considered a seed, quinoa is more often found in the grains section of your grocery store. It’s common enough now that you can find it at mainstream supermarkets as well as specialized health stores.
Check out easy ideas for ways to add quinoa to your everyday diet.
Quinoa can be used just like oats for a warming winter breakfast. It does take a bit longer than old fashioned oats to cook so make sure to plan a little extra time in the morning or consider making it the night before and reheating on the stove.
Add a bit of maple syrup, vanilla extract, and pumpkin pie spice for a sweet and seasonal treat or consider these simple ways to flavor up a hot bowl of quinoa.
Easy breakfast ideas
- Quinoa, coconut oil, diced pineapple
- Quinoa, diced apple, brown sugar, cinnamon
- Quinoa, ground flaxseed, warmed blueberries
- Quinoa, sliced strawberries, chopped almonds
It may seem odd to add a cooked grain to your cold treat, but quinoa can up the nutritional profile and satiety factor of any smoothie. Simply toss ¼ cup pre-cooked quinoa in the blender and make sure to run until smooth.
Check out this delicious Snickerdoodle smoothie as a starting point and feel free to experiment from there.
Easy smoothie ideas include (just add to blender with milk of choice and ice):
- Peanut butter, banana, quinoa
- Apple, cinnamon, quinoa
- Blueberries, lemon zest, quinoa
Quinoa is as versatile as it is nutritious; cook up a big batch of quinoa on Sunday to have on hand all week long.
- Mix quinoa with Brussels sprouts, chickpeas, and caramelized onions for an entrée
- Use quinoa in place of rice in a stir-fry or a burrito
- Mix red quinoa, black beans, corn, and salsa for a delicious and spicy grain salad
- Throw into salads for extra crunch and staying power
- Add a bit of olive oil, garlic, and herbs to jazz it up for a simple side
Check out our Bob’s Red Mill coupons for easy ways to save on quinoa and other delicious products.