Face time: Simple ways to get a more youthful look
By Brittany Anas
The fountain of youth is in your refrigerator’s crisper. And, your bathroom’s cabinets. And, your bedroom. The secret to looking refreshed in the morning, warding off wrinkles and having healthy, radiant skin can be unlocked with these foods, face-washing routines and night-time rituals.
Here’s what to eat and do for a fresh face and youthful glow:
• Eat oranges: The Vitamin C packed in an orange isn’t just an ally to your immune system. It’s also wrinkle-resistant. Studies have shown that women over the age of 40 who have sufficient amounts of Vitamin C in their diets have few wrinkles. One medium sized orange contains two-thirds of the Vitamin C your body should be eating. Those tiny little clementines — nicknamed “cuties” — are in season right now and are a great snack.
Other foods high in Vitamin C are yellow bell peppers, guavas, kiwis, papayas, strawberries and broccoli.
• Get your beauty rest: When we’re getting ZZZ’s our cells are busy rebuilding and repairing themselves. We wake up and our skin is more taut and renewed. Also, the blood flow to our face when we’re sleeping helps prevent wrinkles. Aim for 8 hours a night.
• Face washing: Using a skin cleansing system from Clarisonic is a great way to start your face-washing ritual. The mini machines remove dirt, oil and makeup residue that gets trapped in your pores and doesn’t shake loose when you wash with just a wash cloth. Washing with it once or twice a day will give your skin a more healthy glow.
• Eye cream: StriVectin Eye Concentrate from GNC reduces puffiness and dark circles in the first couple of weeks. Next, it renews collage and tightens your skin and helps lines fade. Using it daily will help your eyes look more awake.
• Facial mist: Beauty bloggers swear by facial mists as a mid-day refresher. This “African Red Tea Face Mist” from Sephora is a hydrating tonic that soothes pores. The red tea, white tea and pomegranate are skin-friendly and natural antioxidants.
Other articles you might also like:
• Five yummy ‘superfoods’ you should be eating if you want to lose weight
• Diet secrets and work-out regimens of runway models
• Healthy Valentine’s Day ideas
• New York Fashion Week designer Prabal Gurung to launch Target fashion line
• Stop smoking and add years to your life
• Ideas for working out at home