How to fake a tan and other spring beauty tips
By Brittany Anas
Call it your spring tune-up: It’s time to warm up your skin tone, get your feet prepped for strappy, peep-toe shoes and pop some brighter colors into your make-up routine.
We’ve been keeping a close eye on runway trends so we can deliver you a spring beauty report, and we’ve scouted out how you can get in on the trends at an affordable price. Bronzed skin and brighter hues of lipstick and blush will thrust you into spring 2013.
- Bronzer: Haven’t had a chance to soak up the sun, yet? Fake a sexy, sun-kissed look with a bronzing kit. A 3-in-1 Ciao, Bombshell glow face kit from Victoria’s Secret hooks you up with blush, bronzer and highlighter. All are packed in leopard-patterned compact kit with a mirror. Use a make-up brush to lightly dust bronzer on your cheeks, forehead and chin. Next, apply the blush to your cheekbones — blending it up near your temples. Finish the look by sweeping the illuminator on your high cheekbones. (Victoria’s Secret, $22)
- Tanning lotion: It’s way safer than tanning beds and won’t age your skin. Tanning lotions have come a long way and high-quality ones match your skin tone and don’t leave streaks that give away your faux tan secret. The bronzer can wear off a bit, so avoid wearing white or light-colored clothing the same day you apply it. Our favorite: L’Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Towelettes. (Ulta, $10.99)
- Pedicure: Book one soon so you can start wearing toe-bearing shoes like these frilly chiffon accented T-strap sandals from DSW for $39.95. Swipe a fun color onto your toes. Check out Essie spring 2013 colors at Kohl’s for $8 a bottle.
- Beach curls: Middle parts with light, soft curls that look almost natural give you a surfer-girl look. Get the loose curls from a curling iron or try a “beach spray” from Sally’s Beauty Supply.
- Bright lips: Fashion week models have been donning punchy pink lipsticks. The Buxom Full Bodied lipstick comes in a bright, bold fuchsia appropriately called “Exhibitionist.” (Sephora, $26)
- Eye mask: Soothe your eyes at night and block unwanted light. How fun is this “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” sleep mask from Yacanna for $32.95.
- Spring fragrance: Give Country Chic from Bath and Body Works a try. The scent combines sparking lemon with wildflowers and spring woods and is inspired by the fresh air of America’s countryside.
Other articles you might also like:
• Joyous video: Body lotion to make your skin glow
• Spring staples: 5 wardrobe essentials (for cheap)
• Sunday style: Where to score the best Easter dresses
• Neon ’80s roaring back into style this spring, summer
• Fall fashion preview: The good, the bad, the ugly (and the bizarre)