Fashion lessons we can learn from the 2013 Emmy nominees
Drumroll, please …
The 2013 Emmy nominees are out and we thought we’d take this opportunity to steal some of the style secrets from some of television’s leading ladies — who have taken over our television screens in everything from sequins to power suits. (Here’s a full list of the nominees courtesy of USA TODAY!)
- Connie Britton from Nashville teaches us a girl can never have too many sequins. The relevance of the country legend is being challenged by an-up-and-coming country darling played by Hayden Panettiere. In an early episode, Britton’s character combs through her closet for touring outfits and, oh boy, it’s a sea of sequins. Britton is nominated for lead actress in a drama series. We’re loving this sequin, sweetheart dress from ASOS that is a mix of old country and pop country. (On sale for $55.15 + 3.5 percent Cash Back)
- Kerry Washington from Scandal shows us that pant suits can be sexy. Her Olivia Pope character in the Washingon, D.C. drama is fierce. That whole “gladiators in suits” thing works well for her. We so want the wardrobe director of the show to get us ready for work every morning. There’s even a Tumblr page devoted to the perfectly tailored, slightly sultry outfits that Washington’s character wears. Washington is also a nominee for lead actress in a drama series. Upgrade your work wardrobe with some pieces from Ann Taylor or Banana Republic.
- Lena Dunham from Girls makes a strong case for funky, retro prints. The creator (and lead character) in the HBO comedy fancies loud prints to match her character’s personality. Sleeveless dresses show off her arm tattoo. Little known fact about Dunham in real life … she’s a feminist and has said that she won’t get married until same-sex marriage is allowed. She is a nominee for lead actress in a comedy series. To cop her style, scout out some good thrift sores or flea markets for unique pieces.
Netflix is making history: It’s original political drama House of Cards garnered nine nominations, making it the first time the Emmy nominations have included an online streamed series. (Jason Bateman’s character in the Arrested Development revival on Netflix is also a nominee for lead actor in a comedy series). Don’t know what shows were talking about? Here’s how you can get a one-week trial for Netflix.
Leading the Emmy nominee pack was American Horror Story: Asylum with 17 nominations. Game of Thrones was a close second with 16 nominations.
Other articles you might also like:
- 3 food freebies to celebrate your weekend
- Travel light: How to wear one dress four ways
- New free app helps you avoid the gym rush hour