Football fans reveal their strange game-day superstitions
By Brittany Anas
Fans do the darndest things.
Especially, Baltimore fans cheering on the Ravens, according to new survey results.
With the start of the 2013 National Football League season, Bud Light — the official beer sponsor of the NFL — released its fan superstition survey. To find out the superstitions and quirks across the country, the folks behind the survey gathered opinions from nearly 10,000 adult NFL fans and took an in-depth look at the fan bases of all 32 teams.
The superstition study got scientific. Researchers asked 50 questions — using the answers to form an “NFL Fan Superstition Index” which calculates the superstition level of fan bases as they correlate with game-day habits. (We’re talking wearing dirty jerseys during a winning streak, kissing trinkets and calling dibs on lucky seats).
According to the findings, these fans are the most superstitious in the league.
- Baltimore Ravens fans
- Arizona Cardinals fans
- New Orleans Saints fans
- Oakland Raiders fans
- Philadelphia Eagles fans
As a footnote, fans of the New Orleans Saints are the most consistently superstitious — carrying out the same routines every game.
The survey went on to identify the superstitious habits of fans “taking one for the team.”
- Arizona Cardinals fans, according to the survey, need to do some laundry. They’re the most likely to wear an unwashed jersey in support of their team. Um, isn’t it hot in Arizona? Ay-yi-yi.
- New York Jets fans were found to be the most likely to sit in the same “lucky seat” for each game.
- In Detroit, Lions fans are secretive. They are most likely to carry out their superstitious activities alone.
- Fans of the Buffalo Bills fans are known to set out a trinket or team memorabilia and either touch, kiss or hold it in hopes of a win.
Are you a super fan? Check out some of the best clothes and household gear for football fanatics at the Kohl’s fan shop. When you shop at Kohl’s with ShopAtHome.com, you can earn up to 3.5 percent Cash Back.
Here are a few of our picks for the super-committed football fan:
- Sports fan bedding … if you eat, drink, sleep football.
- Mohawk hat … Save yourself the hair dye and hair gel and get yourself something a little more temporary.
- A Christmas wish … These Christmas tree ornaments beg Santa for a Superbowl win.
- Throwback football … How’s that for a lucky trinket?
- A new jersey … (Cough, cough) we’re talking to you Arizona fans.
Read more articles about Kohl’s here.
Other articles you might also like: