Geek-chic! Rodarte making ‘Star Wars’ happen in fashion?
By Brittany Anas
Yoda, R2-D2 and Luke Skywalker paraded the catwalk at New York Fashion Week — making the ultimate geek-chic fashion statement. That’s right: High-end designer Rodarte has Star Wars fans excited for the fall and winter collection of gowns that pays homage to the space fantasy. It’s like New York Fashion Week and Comic Con got together and had a love child in the form of high-end, but quirky fashion.
Rodarte designer Kate Mulleavy told Style.com that re-connecting with childhood is at the heart of the collection: “I really felt like in a lot of ways this collection for me was about kind of the imagination that you have when you’re at a certain age where everything seems possible.”
The force was with Rodarte: Star Wars creator George Lucas was among those in the fashion week crowd.
Of course there are months — seasons, in fact — between now and the release of the Rodarte fall/winter collection. And, well, the price tags on those pretty little Star Wars numbers will likely be out of this world. Nevertheless, the Rodarte show inspired our inner nerd and we’ve rounded up some geek-chic looks for less. Check out these looks from Nordstrom, where you’ll get 6 percent Cash Back on your purchases from ShopAtHome.com.
- Kate Spade Geek Chic gloves, on sale for $46.80. We’re loving the fun “conversational” gloves that have been trending this winter — a look that Kate Spade has especially embraced with accessories. One merino wool glove says “Geek” while the other says “Chic.” Of course there are flip-top fingertips so that you can have access to all of your techy gadgets.
- Converse Chuck Taylors, $45. The true staple of any geek-chic outfit. We love these classic kicks on the weekends paired with a fun graphic T-shirt and jeans or, more unexpectedly, with a sundress. (Taylor Swift is the master of the Converse-dress mixing).
- Ray Ban rectangular glasses, $140. Chunky geek-chic frames with rectangular lenses are equal parts nerdy and high fashion. These glasses are online exclusives.
Read more articles about Nordstrom here.
Other articles you might also like:
- 5 swoon-worthy trends from New York Fashion Week
- Celebrity designer Peter Pilotto partners with Target for affordable line
- Aeropostale launches Pretty Little Liars collection