Go on a free (or cheap) Labor Day vacation!
By Aimee Heckel
AAA predicts this Labor Day will be the busiest for travel since 2008. Gas prices are down. But hotel prices are up.
In a way, it seems like an oxymoron to celebrate Labor Day by spending a bunch of money.
You don’t have to.
You can go on a relaxing, beautiful Labor Day vacation without dropping a dime. Here are a few of our favorite free ways to celebrate Labor Day for free — and other ways to save big on your trip:
1. Get a free night at a Wyndham Vacation Rental. Buy three nights and get one free at select beach homes on Alabama’s Gulf Coast, using the promo code “LABORDAYHOME.”
2. Enjoy a free culturally rich festival in Oklahoma. The Choctaw Nation Labor Day Festival is a unique way to celebrate the holiday, with tribal activities, a powwow, games, arts and crafts, free music and rides, sports tournaments, a pageant and more. Bring a chair and enjoy the free concerts, which are a big draw for revelers.
Look for free festivals in your own state, if you don’t want to travel far.
3. Check out free music in Daytona Beach, which is planning a big Labor Day event this year, complete with free concerts, a fireworks show and other family-friendly activities.
Want to save money on your Labor Day vacation?
Save more money on your next vacation with these travel coupons.
Battle the rising cost of hotels with these coupons for America’s Best Value Inn. For a limited time, get 10 percent off your stay, plus an additional 2 percent Cash Back and 1 ShopGold Reward from ShopAtHome.com.
Beyond Labor Day:
Want to visit the national parks for free?
The U.S. National Parks Service offers free entrance into national parks on various special days throughout the year. The next: Sept. 27, in honor of National Public Lands Day; and then Nov. 11, for Veteran’s Day. On these days, entrance fees are waived.
Did you know? Most national parks don’t charge any entrance fee, anyway. Only 133 of 401 nationwide do.
Other articles you might also enjoy:
- You won’t believe how much money you can save on your Labor Day vacation
- Free dinners for everyone
- Visit Berlin for the 25th anniversary of the fall of the wall