‘Grumpy Cat’ now a muse for fine art, funny T-shirts
“Grumpy Cat” has a perma-frown that has made her the Internet’s most meme-able creature. The feline — whose real name is “Tardar Sauce” — became an Internet sensation after her photo was posted on Reddit. Now, thousands of memes starring the frowny-faced feline circulate the Internet with snarky captions: “I had fun once. It was awful” and “Love is in the air? Get out the gas mask.”
Recently, Grumpy Cat and her accompanying little snarls have become popular T-shirt fodder. Grumpy Cat (whose human mom says is actually quite a happy cat, just with a frown-inducing under bite) stars in Lil Bub & Friendz, a documentary that premiered last month at the Tribeca Film Festival. And, now, the cantankerous cat is the muse of an amusing fine art project in Alabama.
The Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment, a Huntsville-Ala. arts center with 100 working artists, recognized the mass appeal of Grumpy Cat and and called on artists to create projects featuring the feline for “The Grumpy Cat Art Project.”
The project includes art media from paintings, to stained glass, to sculpture, to chainmail.
“We really wanted to use this project to show how art can elevate even the silliest subject,” Dustin Timbrook, one of Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment’s working artists, said in a news release.
Timbrook came up with the idea for the art project.
The online auction at LoweMill.net will begin May 27 and end May 31. All proceeds will go to the participating artists and towards building a children’s playground at the arts center.
Ever wish you could take an Internet meme, and, poof, turn it into a funny T-shirt? There are stores that have done that. Have a little fun with your fashion by wearing a funny T-shirt underneath a blazer and with some jeans or to your next work-out class.
- ‘This is my happy face’ T-shirt from Torrid for $28.50 (plus 4 percent cash back)
- ‘Grumpy cat is grumpy’ T-shirt from Hot Topic for $16.88 (plus 4 percent cash back)
- ‘Grumpy cat grumping the sun away’ T-shirt from Think Geek for $21.99 (plus 3.5 percent cash back)
Other articles you might also like:
• Missouri senator wants seersucker suits outlawed & other odd fashion bans
• Mom knows best: The best fashion and style advice passed down from mothers
• How to host a smashing Great Gatsby party
• Kate Middleton’s fave designer Issa London to debut Banana Republic line
• How to dress dapper dogs in bow ties, rain coats and other accessories