Get into the Halloween spirit with spooktacular cocktails for your costume party
Halloween might be mostly for kids, but when the day falls on a Friday, there’s no doubt parties are being planned for the adult crowd, too.
If you’ve decided to be the host, keep this in mind: Be sure there’s plenty of food, keep your eye out for guests who have had one too many, and impress your designated drivers by offering them the finest of juices and carbonated beverages.
Now, let’s get down to the fun stuff. If you’re pulling together something at the last minute, you might consider serving a signature drink. Whether you’re a fan of vodka, whiskey or tequila, there’s a cocktail to please most everyone.
UV Vodka Bloody Berry
- One part UV Sugar Crush
- One part cranberry
- One part club soda
- Serve over ice in lowball glass.
If bourbon is more to your taste, you’re in luck. Basil Hayden’s Bourbon and Knob Creek Bourbon have created a spicy bourbon cocktail sure to bring out the fangs in your adult vampires. And what could be better on an autumn evening? Black tea, apple juice, lemon juice and ginger complement the spicy finish of Basil Hayden’s Bourbon. So, here’s a recipe for those looking for an adult beverage that really feels like fall.
Basil Hayden’s Spicy Apple Brew
- 1 ½ parts Basil Hayden’s Bourbon
- 1 ½ parts cool Lapsang Souchong Black Tea
- 1 part apple juice
- ½ part lemon juice
- ½ part simple syrup
- 1 dash Angostura Bitters
- 1 slice of ginger
- 1 apple
- 2-3 sprigs of mint
- Muddle small slice of fresh ginger in a cocktail shaker.
- Add Basil Hayden’s Bourbon, black tea, apple juice, lemon juice, simple syrup and bitters over ice and shake.
- Strain into a tall highball glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with a fan of apple slices and mint sprigs.
If you’re a rum fan, here’s a simple recipe from Owl’s Brew to mix up for your buddies. Obviously, adjust the amounts according to the number of guests.
- 1 ounce Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
- 2 ounces Owl’s Brew Coco-Lada
- .5 ounces (or a splash) of ginger ale
- Serve over ice in a Collins glass.
Tequila is always a hit at any gathering. Let the folks at Patron and Tequila Avión suggest a truly seasonal beverage, for those who respect the great pumpkin.
Pumpkin Spice Margarita
- 2 parts Avión Reposado
- 1 part pumpkin spice liqueur
- 2 parts half and half
- Combine Avión Reposado, pumpkin spice liqueur and half and half in shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a glass with cinnamon sugar rim.
And of course, there’s always the martini. Few shun a classic martini, and if you spook it up a bit, no worries. We’re offering a recipe for a martini that won’t cause the seams of that outfit to reach its limits. Guests will be overjoyed.