Hangover cures from around the world
By Brittany Anas
Pounding headache. Queasy stomach. And you’ll need a trough of water to re-hydrate.
That’s no way to start the New Year!
If you have too much champagne on New Year’s Eve — it’s been known to happen, right? — here’s some cures from around the world to help shake off hangover symptoms. Turns out hangovers are universal. So too are remedies, of course.
- Sip water in between drinks. If you’re reading this before a big night out, try a preventative strategy by drinking a glass of water in between alcoholic beverages. A. It will slow you down. B. It will keep you hydrated. Also, before you head out, eat some fatty foods — they help slow down the rate at which you’ll absorb alcohol.
- Blowfish for Hangovers Effervescent Tablets. Lemon-flavored fizzy tablets stop the hangover headaches. The formula is is recognized as effective by the FDA. Find them at Drugstore.com, where you’ll get 7 percent Cash Back.
- Guzzle some Sprite. A new study this year out of China found that the lemon-lime soda can inhibit the enzyme in our bodies that prompts alcohol withdrawal symptoms.
- Eat some Yak-a-mein soup. The American Chemical Society gathered for its annual meeting in New Orleans earlier this year and tips for curbing hangovers was among the agenda items. Turns out eating Yak-a-mein soup — a salty beef and soy-based broth with noodles, onions, beef and hard-boiled eggs, or some variation — can help fight a hangover.
- Skip the greasy breakfast — and just eat eggs: The cysteine in eggs helps remove acetyldehyde and cure a hangover.
- Hair of the dog? The idea of drinking more to cure a hangover doesn’t actually work. You’re just prolonging the inevitable. The best thing that you can drink in the morning is water — not coffee, not sports drinks, just good, ole’ water to help you rehydrate.
- Limit your alcohol. The best way, of course, to start the New Year off right is to not overdo it on New Year’s Eve. For a fizzy drink, cut your alcoholic beverages with soda water.
Read more articles about Drugstore.com here.
Other articles you might also like:
- Try these celebrity beauty tricks for New Year’s Eve
- 3 mistakes that doom your New Year’s Resolutions — and how to fix them
- The best after-Christmas sales for fitness fanatics