Happy Friday! New research shows Friday is your skinniest day of the week
By Brittany Anas
Scientists are giving a whole new meaning to our beloved phrase TGIF. Yes, Thank God it’s Friday. We are at our skinniest today. That’s right: Research shows that we tend to weigh less on Fridays.
The scientific study shows that we tend to lose weight throughout the week — making Friday our skinniest day of the week — and, then, because we eat more on the weekends, we start to gain it back. That means our weight tends to be the highest after Sunday Funday as well as on Monday. Womp, womp.
The study was published this winter in the European Journal of Obesity.
Enacting looser diet restrictions on the weekends or during holidays isn’t necessarily a bad thing, though, according to the authors.
“Based on the findings of this study, we can expect weight to rise during weekends and treat it as a normal variation,” the authors wrote. “Our results provide scientific support to the tenet that in weight management, allowing more flexibility during weekends and holidays might be more realistic and successful in the long term than a strict regimen.”
Wondering how to maintain your weight? Here’s a few tips.
- Make exercise a part of your weekend routine, too. Perhaps you’ve got a strict regimen throughout the week or a regular weeday workout schedule. Cut loose on the weekend with “fun exercises.” Maybe a game of pickup basketball is in order? Hit the slopes or go snowshoeing. Or take your dog to explore a new trail.
- Realize that your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. Not only does our weight fluctuate throughout the week, but it can vary by a few pounds on any given day. To get an accurate snapshot of your weight, weigh yourself at the same time every day or every week. Also, while they are not exact, smart scales can help you understand how much of your weight is “water weight.” We found a good deal on the Ozeri Touch Digital Bath Scale that will hold up to eight profiles and is on sale for $40 at K-mart (Earn an additional 7 percent Cash Back at K-mart when you shop with ShopAtHome.com).
- Eat breakfast every morning. Study after study shows us that people who eat breakfast regularly have an easier time maintaining their weight. The reason? You need to give your metabolism a wakeup in the morning. Those who skip breakfast tend to snack throughout the morning or overeat at lunch. For a well-rounded breakfast, serve yourself some whole grains, protein and a fresh fruit or veggie. Try an egg white vegetable omelette with whole grain toast. Steer clear of sugary cereals, muffins or pastries.
Read more articles about K-Mart here.
Other articles you might also like:
- How ‘Biggest Loser’ Rachel Frederickson lost 155 pounds
- 4 ways to outsmart your snooze button
- Tips to help you pick the right gym