Pucker up! It’s ‘International Kissing Day’ and we’re dishing fun facts
By Brittany Anas
Pucker up! Today — July 6 — is international kissing day. We think the best way to celebrate is with a new shade of lipstick, restocking the mints in our purse and dishing some lip-smacking facts.
Did you know that a simple peck uses just two muscles, but a passionate kisses engages 34 facial muscles. Also, people — on average — spend about 20,160 minutes of their lives kissing, according to Psychology Today.
To properly observe kissing day, Zoosk.com — an online dating service — recently surveyed more than 3,500 singles in the United States to report back to us what songs we like to kiss to, the best kissing spots and the best on-screen smooches.
So … survey says:
- Tony and Pepper’s smooch in Iron Man 3 was the most memorable movie kiss this summer. Next up on the list was smooch between Spock and Uhura in Star Trek into the Darkness and Alan and Cassie’s romantic moment in the The Hangover 3.
- No looking! 83 percent of singles prefer to kiss with their eyes closed.
- The best lip-locking jam? Could I have this Kiss Forever by Whitney Houston and Enrique Iglesias, followed up closely by A Kiss from a Rose by Seal. Honorable mention to Pink for her song Blow me one Last Kiss. Sheesh … how did Kiss the band not make this list?
- The beach is ranked as the most romantic place for kissing. Other spots that ranked high on the list: A car, in front of a fireplace and on a carriage ride in New York’s Central Park.
- Nosy kissers! 77 percent of singles admit they have shared “Eskimo kisses” to show affection while on a date.
- Kissing disaster: Nearly three quarters of those survey say at some point they have dated someone who was a bad kisser.
- Nearly 60 percent of those surveyed said the most memorable kiss in political history was when President Barack Obama kissed Michelle on election night. It beat out the kiss that Al Gore gave Tipper at the Democratic National Convention, according to the survey.
Want some kissable lips? Runway models at fashion shows have been wearing duo-toned lips (wearing two different colors on your lips and blending them together for a smooth almost-ombre look). We’re loving bright pink lips this summer — like Mac’s “Candy Yum Yum” lipstick from Nordstrom and Nars satin lip liner from Sephora.
Other articles you might also like: