Happy Margarita Day! Celebrate with these low-cal recipes
If you’re like us, your Facebook feed is filled with status updates about it being National Margarita Day, with dreams of weekend happy hours.
The tequila and citrus combination that originated in the 1940s has lots of twists these days — from chili peppers to fruity blends. Bar stool lore has it that the margarita was invented by Margaret “Margarita” Sames, a classy Dallas lady who happened to have a thing for tequila.
Cocktails are notorious for their high sugar levels, but we’ve got three “skinny” margarita recipes for you so you can partake in this national holiday. All are under 250 calories. Cheers!
• Frozen traditional margarita: 1 1/4 ounce silver tequila. (Patron silver or 1800 is a good choice). 3/4 ounces of an orange liquor. (We like Patron citronage, though Triple Sec is a cheaper option). 2 ounces fresh lime juice. 3 ounces of low-calorie or “light” sweet and sour. One scoop of ice. Blend for 45 seconds. Use kosher salt to salt the rim of your margarita.
If you like a strawberry margarita, toss in a few fresh strawberries. The candied strawberries are sweet — but they add extra calories and sugar.
(About 220 calories)
• Sorbet margarita: It’s like an adult dessert. Sugar the rim of your glass. (To do so, take a lime wedge, and rub it around the rim and then stamp the rim on a plate of sugar). Place two miniature scoops of lime sorbet in the glass. You could also try peach or orange sorbet or do a combination. Pour over a tablespoon of tequila. Serve with a dessert spoon.
(About 215 calories)
• Cucumber margarita: Why not add to the nutritional profile of your margarita? Slice up a peeled cucumber into a dozen 1/2 inch slices. Combine it in the blender with 1/2 cup of fresh lime juice; 1/2 cup of Cointreau (or Triple Sec); 3/4 cups of resposado tequila and 6 cups of ice. Blend well. Pour into glasses. (Serves four). Top with a tablespoon of Grand Marnier to turn into a top-shelf margarita.
(About 240 calories).
Other articles you might also like:
• What to wear to look 10 pounds thinner
• How to eat like the French
• Cops and robbers on bikes and other ways to exercise with your kids
• The best free food journals and how they can accelerate your weight loss
• Lifeguarding to pro football offers: Who were America’s fittest presidents?
• Face-time: Simple ways to get a more youthful look
• Five things you’re doing to your hair that make your stylist want to scream