Healthy family tips for a healthy New Year
For this New Year, consider making resolution for your entire family to lead a healthier lifestyle. If you make changes gradually, as a family, it is an easy resolution to keep.
Tips to leading a healthy family lifestyle:
- Don’t skip breakfast. Don’t let your kids skip breakfast. It really is the most important meal of the day. Serve high fiber, low sugar cereals, yogurt, fruits, eggs and cheese…fuel for brains and energy for bodies. Besides, when your ravenous, the hunger hormone gherlin strikes and causes overeating.
- Get moving. For AT LEAST 20 minutes, every day, shake that body. Go for a family walk after dinner, if the weather permits. Throw Just Dance or other work-out type video games on and have a friendly, family competition. Play tag. Go for a swim or bike ride. Shoot hoops. Anything that gets your heart rate up!
- Don’t forbid foods. The forbidden foods are the ones the kids will sneak to eat. Allow the bad stuff on occasion so that they aren’t “taboo” thus creating kids to crave them.
- Eat dinner as a family. It’s an emotionally bonding time, sitting around the dinner table as a family. It’s a great place to catch up on everyones gossip. Also, it’s easier to do portion policing because staying at a healthy weight is part portion control. If nightly family dinners aren’t doable, try to find a meal that is, at least a couple times a week.
- No eating zones: The television room should be off-limits to meals. It creates too strong an association. Just like the idea of having to eat candy or popcorn while at the movie theatre. Also, limit technology at meals. When you’re paying too much attention to text messages and not to what your eating, there is a tendency to overeat.
Keep “good” snacks around. Things like almonds, low-fat yogurt, fruits and veggies are perfect healthy and satisfying snacks. Steel cut oatmeal is a great breakfast but also makes for a nutritious snack. For the chocolate lover, dark chocolate not only takes care of the sweet cravings but it’s an anti-oxidant so it’s good for you, too. Great news!
Creating an entire new lifestyle for the family is a big step. Do it gradually so that it’s hardly noticeable. Which means…less complaints from kids.
Vitamin supplements are important to staying healthy, too. Use our coupons to shop for vitamins for your entire family.
Other posts you might like: