Skinny cocktails, backyard games & other healthy Mother’s Day celebrations
Skip the all-you-can eat brunches, bottomless mimosas and boxes of chocolates this Mother’s Day and plan a day that is special and healthy. Mother’s Day is May 12, which just so happens to coincide with the start of National Women’s Health Week.
The best way we can show our moms we love them is to care about their well-being — so that might mean gently reminding them to schedule a preventative screening or booking them a relaxing massage to help them de-stress.
When it comes to her special day, here are some ideas for Mom that are equal parts fun and healthy:
- Brunch: Avoid the restaurant crowds and cater a healthy meal at home. Mix a colorful fruit salad. Cut a cantaloupe into long slices, put a dollop of yogurt on it and add raspberries. Make a yogurt parfait with non-fat vanilla yogurt, mixed berries and granola. For the main course, serve an egg white omelette with spinach, halved cherry tomatoes, and low-fat mozzarella cheese. (Tip: When you’re beating your eggs, sprinkle a dash of onion powder for a flavor boost). Save on carbs and calories by making “squash browns” instead of greasy hash browns. Brighten up the table with a spring bouquet from Flowers Fast.
- Cocktails: Play bartender by making “skinny” cocktails at home. “Real Housewife” and entrepreneur Bethenny Frankel makes a cucumber vodka. Mix 2 parts of the Skinnygirl vodka, 2 parts of low-sodium tomato juice, a squeeze of lemon, a squeeze of lime, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, dash of hot sauce, sprinkle of celery salt. Shake and serve over ice. Garnish ideas: Olives, celery, pickle spear, and/or a slice of turkey bacon. For a 75-calorie mini mimosa, mix 1 ounce of orange juice with 3 ounces of champagne. Find some elegant Mikasa stemware from Macy’s.
- Activity: Take advantage of the warmer weather on the horizon. Of course, be sure to do what mom loves best. Some ideas for family fun? A bike ride, hike, round of golf or game of backyard croquet. Suggest taking a walk after your meal. It will give you some quality time with mom while burning some calories. Get a deluxe croquet set for under $45 at Wal-Mart.
- Healthy gifts: Make a health and relaxation gift basket for your mom. Ideas? Vitamins, a journal, some arm weights, a pedometer, bubble bath, herbal teas and a notebook personalized with some of your own favorite motivational quotes. Shop vitamin packs at Vitamin World.
Other articles you might also like:
• America’s ‘greenest’ colleges and what we can learn from them
• Race organizers increase security following Boston Marathon bombing
• Happy National Grilled Cheese Month. Here are some healthy recipes!
• 3 ways to celebrate Earth Day (and drop a few pounds, too!)
• Pole dancing as a workout? One mom says it has her in her best shape ever
• 7 free activities to put on your spring and summer must-do list