No time to work out? It’s time to HIIT it
Want to get a great workout in, but find yourself short on time? High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) programs are popular workout options for 24 Hour Fitness members and fitness enthusiasts everywhere. HIIT has plenty of benefits: A McMaster University study found interval training to be almost four times more efficient at creating physiological changes than endurance training.
But HIIT is so hot, mainly for three reasons: It’s fast, it works and you can do a HIIT workout almost anywhere with minimal equipment. That means it’s practically tailor-made for busy people.
What is HIIT?
HIIT is a form of cardio exercise in which short intervals of very high-intensity activity alternate with longer intervals of slower activity. The key to HIIT is a precise balance of intensity and recovery. A typical workout begins with preparatory movement, then high-intensity intervals that vary in length, followed by active recovery or rest. HIIT group exercise classes always include a cool-down to reset the body’s systems and care for the muscles and joints.
HIIT workouts take many forms at 24 Hour Fitness, including one-on-one work with trainers and cycling group exercise classes. Our newest HIIT workouts include:
- Les Mills Grit™ aims to get you super fit, super fast. Members love this workout because a highly energized and educated coach guides you through workouts that include multiple well-tested formats. Furthermore, you’re surrounded by teammates taking on new movement challenges at a new intensity, and you know you’re all in it together.
- HIIT24 incorporates elements of cardiovascular training, lower-body strength training, upper-body strength training and core conditioning into each short 24-minute class. This fast-paced HIIT workout maximizes time and efficiency and follows a simple formula using basic movements that can be performed at different intensity levels, so that anyone can do them.
Is HIIT a fit for you?
Consider your desire for health and fitness results—what you want to achieve and how quickly you want to achieve it. We’ve identified four paths at 24 Hour Fitness to get you there. Each track has a variety of class types, and your best results will come from adding a variety of movement experiences to your workout schedule.
- If you’re just getting started or just looking to have less pain and feel better in your body, choose a class to get energized. In these classes and workouts you can expect extra attention and a vast community to support you. You’ll leave class feeling better and ready for your day.
- Time to own your fitness conditioning for once and for all? Find a class to get strong. These classes and workout experiences are designed to inspire change in your body and your life. Increased resistance training, closer attention to technique and a crew of like-minded fitness enthusiasts are constant reminders to keep you moving.
- Change also requires a different relationship with discomfort. This is true when you are ready to get fierce. An array of intense cardio workouts, skill-based strength training and mind/body techniques take you further. Expect new moves and new challenges that constantly take you to your next level.
- When you are ready to raise your training ambitions and train and work out for a bigger goal, whatever it may be, we have the classes and workouts to help you get focused. These progressive workouts and classes are highly motivating and serve to catapult your commitment to a new level—systematically unleashing your fullest potential.
High-intensity interval training demands that you challenge your status quo. It’s also important not to overdo it. Want to get started at 24 Hour Fitness?
- Try interval workouts on first-class equipment.
- Try dynamic Group X classes that take advantage of HIIT protocols. For specific schedules, class times and class descriptions, visit www.24hourfitness.com/classes.
- Ask our health and fitness professionals about HIIT sessions designed just for you.