Hipmunk: Our new fav travel search engine
Choosing the best website to help you choose the cheapest flight can be just as time-consuming as doing the comparison-shopping yourself.
Between Farecompare, Kayak, Expedia — the list seems endless. Just searching the words “compare flights” yields nearly 800,000 results. It’s hard to know which website is the best, and even when you do score a deal, the cheap price tag might be negated by a red-eye with a 12-hour layover.
Want to save more money on travel tickets? Check out these travel coupons. Pair them with ShopAtHome.com’s Cash Back and save the most money for very little extra effort.
The website, Hipmunk, may just be our new end-all search engine to secure the best deals — with the least headache.
This website is relatively known among the travel-nerd crowd, but it’s still breaking out in the mainstream. Chances are, if you google “cheap tickets,” Hipmunk’s name won’t show up on the first five pages, or more.
Here’s what makes Hipmunk work for us — and why you should give it a try to save yourself money and time:
- You can sort flights by “agony” — in other words, all of the yucky parts of travel (layovers, expensive prices, long flights). So you can easily pick the least agonizing option.
- There’s no more information overload: Instead, compare flight results on a visual timeline.
- If emphasizes visual presentation instead of words: Check hotel results on a map, instead of list. Check the “heat map” to determine how close the hotel is to restaurants and shops. Sort hotels by features, such as kid friendly, romantic and luxury, as well as price range and type (including house, private room, hotel and apartment).
- Download the free app, which Time has called one of the 50 best iPhone apps. (Time has also called the website “One of the 50 websites that make the web great.”)
- You can easily subscribe for fare alerts, when the price drops on one of your searches.
- On the website, you can also filter results by airline, stops and sync results with your personal Google calendar.
- Once you type in your home city, click between the different tabs to find other relevant offerings. Click “deals” and it will bring you to deals departing from that home city — so no more excitement over a $50 roundtrip ticket to Los Angeles, only to learn that ticket is actually only departing from San Diego, and you’re in Denver.
- You can log in with Facebook or Twitter, so you don’t have to create a new account to try to remember but mostly forget the user name and password for.
It’s no wonder Forbes calls Hipmunk the world’s best travel site — period.
Other articles you might also like: