Home remedies for whitening teeth
By Melissa Brodsky
There is something so pretty about a white, toothy smile. But as we age, our teeth darken. And the more stain-inducing beverages like coffee and tea we drink, the more stain induced our teeth become.
There are so many fabulous teeth whitening systems on the market today. Toothpaste, gum, mouthwash, teeth whitening strips and entire machines dedicated to whitening those pearls. Some are more effective than others. And some cost more than others.
But there are also ways to whiten your teeth using ingredients you already have at home.
From the fridge:
- Apples, carrots and celery are natural stain removers. Rub a piece of raw carrot on your teeth or just bite into an apple a day. You’ll also get the added benefit of Vitamin C, which prevents gum disease and gingivitis.
- The enzyme called malic acid, found in many teeth whitening products, can also be found in strawberries! Cut one in half and rub it along your teeth.
- Lemons, oranges, grapefruits and other citrus fruits can lighten your teeth. Use an orange or lemon peel to massage your teeth. Or mix lemon juice and water to rinse your teeth twice a week. Don’t overdo it with the citrus, though. Too much citric acid can damage your teeth.
- Foods containing lactic acid like cheese, milk and yogurt can not only whiten your teeth, but the Vitamin D found in these products help strengthen teeth, as well.
From the pantry:
- An acid neutralizer like baking soda is one of the absolute most effective ways to whiten your teeth. Also, one of the safest ways, as well.
- Rinsing your teeth with hydrogen peroxide and water a couple times a month not only whitens your teeth but prevents bad bacteria from growing.
Home teeth-whitening recipes to try:
Mix 2 teaspoons hydrogen peroxide with 2 teaspoons baking soda until its consistency is like toothpaste. Add some toothpaste so it tastes better. Apply to teeth and leave on for 2 minutes. Don’t swallow it! Do this 2-3 times a week for a whiter smile.
After brushing your teeth with regular toothpaste or the mixture recipe listed above, rub olive oil onto your teeth for a noticeable, shiny smile.
Add a couple drops of lemon juice to one tablespoon baking soda. Massage gently onto your teeth and leave for a minute or two. Repeat 2-3 times a week.
Say hello to 2013 with a gorgeous, white-toothed smile!
You might also like:
• Got snow tires? 5 tips on driving in snow
• How to make peplum flatter your figure
• How to avoid getting sick this winter
• Simple diet changes to make today
• Free food: Starbucks, Denny’s, Chili’s, Bob Evans and more
• Wait a minute: Are ugly Christmas sweaters cool?