Hot hemlines: ‘Tulip’ cuts, dolphin shorts and midi skirts
By Brittany Anas
It looks like the mullet hemline (long in the back, short in the front) is finally retiring as the most popular summer hemline. The high-low trend paraded down red carpets, fashion week and dominated dresses over the past couple summers. Here to take it’s place: Tulip hems, dolphin shorts and the midi skirt, an admittedly tougher hemline to flatter.
We’ve shopped a few of the “right now” cuts and have styling tips to make them more flattering. (Earn up to 3 percent Cash Back off of the already low prices at Forever 21 when you shop with ShopAtHome.com).
- Tulip hems: The sweet, feminine hemline is the “it” cut on dresses, skirts and blouses this summer. Two panels — often lightweight — overlap to create a tulip petal effect. This flowy, floral tank ($17.80) features the tulip hemline on the back — lending extra interest to the blouse. Find a tulip hem on the skirt of this Botanical Print Tulip Dress with blue and pink palms (pictured).
- Midi skirts: They are the middle man — falling somewhere between the floor-length maxi skirt and the mini skirt. Depending on your height, the skirt might hit anywhere from the knee to a couple inches below the knee. The key to rocking this skirt is to be aware of proportions. If it’s got a fuller skirt, opt for a more form-fitting top — whether that’s a crop top that shows a little skin or a fitted tank. Because midi skirts can get a bad wrap for looking matronly, we’re drawn to this sheer paneled skirt ($17.80) that is modern and shows a little leg.
- Dolphin shorts: Once a short you would associate with P.E. class, these short, athletic shorts are getting feminine and fun patterns and — despite having a cord-tie waist — can be dressed up with the help of dressier blouse and a good statement necklace or worn poolside. Here are a few of our picks: Mod-inspired Chevron Print Dolphin Shorts ($13.80), black-and-white rose print shorts ($12.80) and these pleated floral shorts ($14.80) in a light blue that have a little more form to them.
Read more articles about Forever 21 here.
Other articles you might also like:
- 5 music festival-inspired looks live from Coachella
- 4 easy, breezy summer trends to try (all under $50)
- Nordstrom Rack now online, plus save big at online flash sales