Insider tips: How to score the best Cyber Monday deals
We know your type and we like you: You kick back and relax, letting the masses brave the crowds on Black Friday. Come Monday, though, you mean business—fingers firmly planted on the home keys, favorite shopping sites bookmarked, leftover turkey sandwich prepped and ready to pounce on Cyber Monday’s best deals.
Cyber Monday has long been thought of as the quiet little sister of Black Friday—the online shopping holiday following Black Friday. In 2005, Shop.org put out a press release about how this newfangled “Cyber Monday” was becoming a big shopping day. Boy, how things have changed. Cyber Monday has consistently grown in popularity.
According to Adobe, sales are estimated to hit $2.6 billion on Cyber Monday this year, a record, TODAY.com reports.
Here are five tips for shopping Cyber Monday like a pro:
1. Get Cash Back. Create a free account through ShopAtHome.com so you can earn Cash Back on your Cyber Monday purchases at thousands of stores and maximize your savings potential. On Dec. 1 you will find extra Cash Back throughout the site at the nation’s top retailers.
2. Do your research ahead of time. Start Cyber Monday with a game plan. Research the prices of what’s on your shopping list so you know whether you’ll be scoring a good deal. Read online reviews to help determine what size sweater you’ll need or what brand of electronics is most liked by fellow shoppers. Basically, make your list and check it twice.
3. Watch for sales ahead of time. Because of the shortened holiday season this year (there are fewer days between Thanksgiving and Christmas than usual), some retailers aren’t waiting until Black Friday and Cyber Monday to roll out their best deals. If you see a good sale, jump on it—because come Monday, the store’s stock might be low or wiped out entirely.
4. Use your smartphone to shop. Whether you’re in a turkey coma and don’t want to get off the couch or you’re out running errands, go ahead and shop from your smartphone or tablet. (Here are more tips.)
5. Follow your fave stores on social media. No matter which time zone you’re in, you’ll know exactly when new sales are announced. (Get more advice on using social media and email to save here.)