Juicy dress gossip from the Oscars + white dresses starting at $27.80
By Brittany Anas
We’ve all been there: Set out an outfit for a party and changed our mind last minute. But, what happens when you’re an award-winning actress?
Prior to the Oscars, Italian fashion house Valentino sent out a news release flaunting the fact that Anne Hathaway would be wearing a “pink embroidered tulle illusion gown.” But, um, then she showed up in a pink Prada dress with awkwardly placed darts in the chest region that gave the illusion that she was really cold all night long. Rumor has it that Hathaway made a last-minute change when she learned that her “Les Mis” co-star Amanda Seyfried would be wearing a similar dress. Sounds a bit high-school-y.
If the Oscars were a preview of spring style, white dresses are going to shine this spring. Especially those with pink or peachy undertones.
White dresses are too fresh and classic to be relegated only to brides and to the short-lived weeks between Memorial and Labor Day. Some of our favorite movie stars — like Octavia Spencer, J. Lo and Gwenyth Paltrow and Charlize Theron — looked like goddesses draped in white dresses. They’ve inspired us to unpack our summer dresses early and shop online for some hues of white that we can wear right now.
We’ve found white dresses that can be worn now and later in warmer months.
• Lace shift dress from Forever 21 for $27.80. The dress is from the “Love 21” line which has more sophisticated cuts. We like the blush undertones in this dress and that it has three-quarter length sleeves that make it perfect for spring.
• Tahari zip-pocket dress from Macy’s on sale for $64.99. This dress is structured, polished and professional with some unexpected details, like an A-line cut and gold zippers. This dress could be a perfect transition piece, worn to work with black nylons and jewelry (stark black and white is a trend going strong this spring) and could worn with jewel tone necklaces for a fun happy hour look.
• Crocheted sweater dress from American Eagle on sale for $49.99. We love this cream-colored dress because we can wear it year-round, paired with tights in the winter and fall and alone in the spring and on summer nights. The crocheted arms and neckline add interest and the fitted bodice is flattering.
Other articles you might also like:
• Oscar fashion lessons: Backwards necklaces and misplaced brooches?
• Like Michelle Obama’s bangs? Try out the look with clip-in bangs
• Spring’s freshest perfumes + interesting fragrance tips
• Nautical and nice: 7 ways to get in on the spring trend for cheap
• Botany 101: How to wear floral prints