The latest Halloween trend — for grandparents
By Aimee Heckel
Your grandma may not transform her garage into an elaborate haunted house for the neighbor kids, but increasingly more grandparents are getting their Halloween treat on in a different way.
GourmetGiftBaskets.com has reported a surge in grandparents buying candy-filled gift baskets this Halloween, typically to send to grandkids in a different state. And that number is expected to grow, reaching a 60 percent bump by the end of October. The notes in the baskets indicate the grandparents want to be involved with the holiday, even if they can’t be there in person, according to a spokesperson for the company.
Overall, gift giving among people age 50 and up continues to rise, GourmetGiftBaskets.com says. It skyrocketed more than 72 percent between 2010 and 2012.
Looking for a Halloween-themed gift basket to send to your special little ghoul? Here are some of our faves from GourmetGiftBaskets.com — and some tips to make your own, too.
1. Small but mighty: The Spooktacular Sweets Halloween Mug, $17.99. This gift features a hand-painted, candy corn mug and is filled with candy.
2. Not messing around: The Deluxe Junk Food Bucket, $59.99, has it all. From nostalgic candies to cookies to carmel corn to suckers to Corn Nuts to candy, this bucket takes Halloween snacking to a whole new level.
3. Decoration and dessert: 1-800-baskets.com sells an adorable Witch Tower gift basket, $29.99, which comes filled with treats, and also makes a great decoration piece for your table or mantel for this year and years to come.
Make your own Halloween gift basket
Buy a basket, seasonal mug or bowl and make your own basket, personalized with your grandkids’ favorite candy. But don’t limit your idea of what could work as a fun candy container.
- Kohl’s sells a candy dispenser, on sale for $29.99, that you can fill with Jelly Bellies.
- Feeling fancy? You can even find a motion-activated candy dispenser at Kohl’s.
- Or get your little pirate a treasure chest to fill with treats.
Decorate the basket with ribbons and balloons. Fill it with plastic spiders. And don’t forget to include a card.
Save money on other purchases for your kids with these coupons for popular kids stores.