Live large in the air: the best luxury flights
By Aimee Heckel
The new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner is making waves in the news. This new commercial plane is designed to be more efficient — using 20 percent less fuel than other airplanes of comparable size. Its frame is also made primarily out of composite materials.
But what’s really getting passengers excited are the on-board amenities:
- Larger windows
- A convertible lavatory that can turn into one bigger, wheelchair-accessible room.
- Adjustable “smart glass” instead of flimsy window shades
- LED lights
- Greater humidity
- A special filtration system to remove odors and viruses, bacteria and allergens
British Airways is expected to receive their first Dreamliner planes later this month — in addition to an Airbus A380, with 50 percent less cabin noise, 50 percent more cabin area and volume, bigger windows, more head room, larger overhead bins and even relaxation areas, such as bars and beauty salons.
The Airbus has been called the “most luxurious plane ever built.”
Could mainstream air travel be taking a turn for the better, a turn away from cramped seats, dry air and closet-sized bathrooms? We certainly hope so.
Here are several other luxury commercial airline options.
- A five-course menu
- Fine wines
- Optional flat-bed seating — with a full 180-degree recline paired with a full-sized pillow
- Oversized personal entertainment screens
- New electronically controller sleeper seating — with almost seven feet of sleeping space
- Literally hundreds of entertainment options, including on-demand audio/visual
- Practice meditation with the new AVOD system
- Leather seats that transform into a flat bed
- In-flight, futuristic bar
- An ottoman with storage space
- A “snooze pack,” with eye shades, a shoe bag, toothbrush and more
- In the airport: a clubhouse, complete with a spa
Flying coach but looking for a little luxury?
Take your travel experience into your own hands. Flight 001 is a great website to find travel products to make your flight more comfortable. The SpacePack makes efficient packing easy. Also check out the practical yet cool toiletry bags, like one that reads “Void if seal is broken,” $12.
Other articles you might also like: