Madonna’s iconic cone bra, wedding dress to be displayed at Macy’s
By Brittany Anas
Queen of pop Madonna has constantly re-created her style throughout the years, giving us style watchers the best kind of whiplash. Just in the 1980s alone she segued from a rainbow of neons and spunky denim jackets to heavy layers of pearls and metal cross necklaces worn with corset dresses to channeling a classic Hollywood glam.
On April 25, some of her most iconic pieces will be on display for a one-day, pop-up fashion display at Macy’s in Century City, Calif. You guessed it: The Jean Paul Gaultier cone bra corset from her 1990 Blonde Ambition Tour will be there. It’s being flown in from an exhibit in Amsterdam. We bet airport security will have fun with that one. And, of course the exhibition will include Madge’s Like A Virgin wedding dress that she masterfully clashed with an edgy belt that spelled out “Boy Toy.”
For the fashion exhibit, Madonna picked out her eight favorite costumes, some plucked from her own personal collection. This is the first time these pieces have been put together for a public viewing.
The iconic wedding dress will be borrowed from the Hard Rock. Arianne Phillips — who is helping curate the exhibit — said the wedding dress, which was worn at the MTV Video Music Awards in 1984, was one of the “most shocking, liberating and influential moments” in pop culture and fashion history. In a bold, fashion-forward move, Madonna took a sacred garment — the wedding dress — and re-contextualized it, Phillips said.
The exhibit is helping promote the youthful Material Girl line that Madonna and her 16-year-old daughter Laurdes Leon, or Lola, created exclusively for Macy’s.
“The pop-up exhibit at Macy’s perfectly exemplifies the inspiration and spirit of the Material Girl line and will give my fans a great opportunity to see the evolution of my style over the years,” Madonna said in a news release.
The Material Girl line launched at Macy’s in 2010. The junior’s collection this spring accomplishes a good mix of bright, electric summer dresses and edgy, moto-chic black pieces.
Here are a few of our favorite Material Girl looks that play on this spring’s “peek-a-boo” trend:
- Sleeveless A-line cut-out dress: The symmetrical, triangle cut-out is front and center on this bright blue dress. ($48, Macy’s)
- Lace A-line dress: Ready to frock ‘n’ roll? This lace bodice dress with a full tulle skirt has diamond-shaped cut-out near the neckline. ($49.99, Macy’s)
- Pink tribal print dress: Need a more subtle introduction to the cut-out trend. This tribal printed maxi has subtle scalene triangle cut-outs above the rib cage. Wouldn’t our geometry teachers be proud of us for using ‘scalene’ in a sentence? (On sale for $29.99, Macy’s)
Photos courtesy of Material Girl.
Other articles you might also like:
• Mother’s Day gift guide: 6 stylish presents all under $50
• Rawr! Jurassic Park-inspired jewelry and accessories
• Kate Middleton’s fave designer Issa London to debut Banana Republic line
• How to dress dapper dogs in bow ties, rain coats and other accessories
• Quick ways to give your home a spring update